Kabanata 03

Abby

I heard him before I saw him. My nephew's laughter was unmistakable, a wave of happiness that radiated from the miniscule house I called home.

After a week of non-stop programs that needed to be facilitated at school, I could finally breathe for once. It was Friday afternoon, and I couldn't wait to fall into bed already.

Maliit lang yung gate namin at nangangalawang na rin 'to sa tagal ng panahon. I lived in a small neighborhood, and the house where I lived had seen better days. The roofs and the gate could really use some fresh paint. I should probably save some money for that in the future. Ayaw ko naman na magmukhang haunted house ang bahay ng mga magulang ko.

Nang makapasok ako sa bahay, agad akong sinalubong ni Shawn, pamangkin ko.

"Auntie Abby!" sigaw niya sabay yakap-talon sa akin.

Binuhat ko yung pamangkin ko saka ako umikot-ikot sa sala. Mas naging grabe ang pagtawa ni Shawn na mahigpit na nakakapit sa dibdib ko. I laughed, too.

"I never knew you'll be visiting!" Ibinaba ko si Shawn pagkatapos. I ruffled his hair which made him giggle harder.

"Dad said it's a surprise," masayang sabi niya saka hinila ako patungo sa kusina. "He also said that you'll be coming with us to the hospital tomorrow."

"Is that so?" tanong ko, and when Shawn and I entered the cramped kitchen, I raised an eyebrow at my eldest brother who was currently dicing onions on the dining table.

"He insisted," sagot niya sa akin saka ngumiti. Shawn's father was a direct replica of him, with jet-black wavy hair and dark round eyes.

I looked around the kitchen. "Where's Melissa?"

Kuya Colbrin sighed. "She's at work. Her schedule is always shifting and graveyard shift siya ngayon. Perhaps you could tag along tomorrow?"

"Sure, no problem," I replied softly.

"Yehey!!!" Shawn cheered which made Colbrin and I chuckle.

"Why don't you go in the living room and play with your toys, kiddo. Auntie Abby and I need to have an adult talk here," Colbrin told his son.

Shawn nodded eagerly and ran back to the living room where his robot toys littered the floor.

I rounded the table and took a seat next to my big brother and tried to unpeel some carrots. "What are we cooking?"

"Stew," sabi ng kapatid ko. "Don't chop the potatoes. They need to be boiled first."

We were silent after that, and only Shawn's laughter coming from the living room permeated the air.

"What's the prognosis?" tanong ko sa kapatid ko.

Kuya Colbrin stopped chopping the garlic. "Bad. He's getting worse. Kailangan niya na ng chemo sabi ng oncologist."

"Isn't he too young?"

My brother shook his head. "A lot of cancer kids undergo the same procedure even their body is already failing. It's either going weak or being dead."

Shawn had been diagnosed with acute lymphocytic leukemia a year ago and it might not look like he had it from the outside because he was a jolly kid, but his immune system was deteriorating. The large blotches on his skin was hidden by his pajamas. I had helped him took his night baths many times in the past to know that his body had looked like he'd been ran through a meat grinder.

I let out along breath. "You have the money for the chemo?"

"Nakapag-loan na ako sa SSS. Melissa, too. But it would only be good for three sessions," he explained. He sniffed, and I looked away.