chapter 13

"I heard what you did at lunch," Felix stated, scribbling something down in what Adrien presumed to be the notebook of one of the classes they had.

"Why'd you do it?"

     Felix looked up at him, expecting an answer but Adrien stayed quiet. The two boys were seated in Adrien's room, Adrien on his bed and Felix at Adrien's desk.

     Truthfully, Adrien didn't know why he got so upset. Obviously he was mad that someone was being rude to Marinette, but he didn't understand why that made him so upset that he felt as though the only resolution was punching a defenseless kid. He was glad Chloe was there to help him out.

"So, you're just not going to answer me?"

Adrien stayed silent.
"It was because of Marinette, wasn't it?"

     Adrien's head snapped towards Felix at the mention of her name and Felix knew he had guessed correctly. His cousin was in love with their raven-haired classmate.

"Someone was being rude to her, I had every right to be mad!"

"You didn't have a right to punch him."

     All Adrien could do was roll his eyes at Felix and go back to looking at his phone, knowing Felix was right. He never should have punched the kid, but at that moment he wasn't thinking. He just wanted him to shut up and that was the easiest way to do it. Or, maybe there was another way. A much more effective way.

     Adrien stood up and walked towards Felix, sitting down in the empty chair next to him. He rolled himself towards the cabinet where the Miraculouses lay, opening it up and taking one of the three out, the butterfly Miraculous.

"What are you doing!?"

"Relax, it's just a precaution." Adrien bluntly stated as he carefully placed the Miraculous into the pocket of his pants.

"A precaution for what? Are you still upset at that kid for the way he treated your girlfriend?"

"Marinette is not my girlfriend. We're just friends. This is just in case something happens to her, or any one of my friends, again. I'm not going to let anyone hurt them."

"You're going to be the one that ends up hurting them if you keep this up!"

     "I'm the one that's protecting them! Everyone thinks I'm the bad guy, but I'm not! You weren't there, no one was, no one saw what Ladybug did! She- she killed him! She killed my father and no one even batted an eye!" Adrien yelled, tugging at his hair as he recalled the horrific image of his father's lifeless body, covered in rubble and blood. His breath began to quicken and his eyes burned, his head feeling light. He clenched his racing heart as he fell to his knees, forgetting that anyone else was in the room except for him. He felt as if he was reliving his father's death and he wanted so desperately to stop thinking about it, but he couldn't. All of the vivid scenes played in his head on repeat and there was nothing he could do to stop it.

     "Adrien!" Felix yelled, dropping to the floor and placing one hand on Adrien's shoulder, the other wrapping around to his other one.

     Adrien didn't hear Felix, didn't feel him, didn't acknowledge him. He was trapped in his head and couldn't process the outside world.

"Adrien, you need to calm down! Just take slow breaths!"

     Adrien still couldn't process the fact that Felix was beside him, his head still replaying the same images over and over. He watched as Ladybug delivered the final blow, watched as Hawkmoth clenched his gut, watched as purple dust filled the air, watched as his father fell to the ground. In all of this, Adrien didn't move. Not then, and not now.