Kabanata 04

Veric

The moment I closed the door behind Abby, Hexon promptly jumped to business.

"New cargo at the harbor this Wednesday. Meth and heroin. Do you think one of our rivals downtown are gonna interfere with the arrival of our turf?" he asked me.

I turned to him. "One rule in this kind of trade, is always be wary of your enemies," payo ko naman. "Have our best sgarristas oversee the pier. Make sure everything is evacuated before the shipments arrive at midnight. No witnesses, less casualties. Tell them to prepare if there's an ambush."

"You got it, boss. I'll brief the henchmen about it when I get back at the warehouse," sagot ni Hexon. "On the other hand, the bordellos in the outer cities are now hiring more skinworkers. It should keep the money flowing while the drug shipments are going to be under allocation."

"Don't forget to get every whore tested in the brothels," I reminded Hexon. I trudged toward the kitchen, my right-hand man on my heels. "The sweetest bite can be found in the most untarnished of flesh. Ayaw ko na magkaroon na naman tayo ng insidente. I was forced to have a sicario kill a regular client due to his threats about spreading the news of him getting herpes from one of my bordellos. You know how I hate ordering our assassins to exterminate loyal customers."

Hexon nodded. He understood the consequences once there would be another fallout under his watch. But I had a lot of faith in Hexon. I knew he'd do his best to not fail me.

"And what about Cal, boss? You know Vanessa is gonna go looking for him."

I shook my head at Hexon as I moved around the kitchen island and reached the cupboards. I took out two glasses and placed them at the countertop. "Let her panic. Alam ko naman na hindi siya mag-iingay na nawawala yung anak niya."

"What if Vanessa contacts you?"

"I'll tell her that she's an idiot," I replied bluntly. I opened a bottle of bourbon from the wine cabinet and filled both glasses. "The kid is safer here with me. Away from the ruckus."

Hexon took his shot of bourbon without my permission. He didn't need one. He was my consigliere, not some low-ranking henchman like the sgarristas. Even though I was Hexon's superior, there was always some level of casualness between us. And he always seemed to know if he was crossing a line.

"So, did the girl agreed to be Cal's nanny?"

I closed my eyes briefly and hissed out an aggravated breath. "She wants to read the contract first. And I got the feeling she'll be looking for other jobs."

"The pay is not good enough?"

I shook my head. "She's cynical."

"Well, I could ban her name from getting hired anywhere else. Just give me the go-ahead, boss, and I'd make a few calls."

I thought about Hexon's idea. If we did that, Abby would have no choice but to take the job, and it would be the only thing in the city offering her a chance of employment.

I flipped the suggestion upside down, checking how effective it was going to be. "Make sure she runs out of options," sabi ko kay Hexon.

Hexon smiled and nodded. "Noted, sir."

I took a taste of my own drink, the first hint of vanilla and other library of flavors making me hum. Pulling back the glass from my lips with a sigh, I glanced at Hexon who was studying me intently. "Bribe the companies. Threaten the small businesses. Corner her in until she has nowhere else to go. It wouldn't be long before she comes back knocking."

*****

Natanggap ko yung text ni Astriel bago sumapit ang dilim. Palubog na yung araw sa bintana pero maaga pa para maka-receive ako ng updates mula sa kanya. Saktong-sakto dahil kaliligpit ko lang din ng mga papeles sa desk at paalis na rin ako ng opisina. Rest could wait.