Prologue: Why You Should Never Trust White Mist Voices

Kabukimono

"Heyyy! Kabukimono!" I hear a familiar voice call to me.

I raise my head to see Niwa walking towards me, a smile painting his face.

"Oh! Niwa. Do you need something from me?" I ask, standing up.

"Nah, I don't need anything right now..I was just wondering if you'd be okay alone for a few days. Na-chan wants me to come with him to Narukami Island." Niwa asks.

"O-oh. If he wants you to go with him, then you should." I say.

A concerned look crosses Niwa's face.

"Yeah, but you never like it when I'm gone for more than half an hour. I'm talking like, three days of being gone." He says.

"But Katsuragi will still be with me. I'll be fine. If Na-chan wants you to go with him, then you should." I say with a smile.

Niwa thinks for a moment before patting my head, a smile painted across his face.

"You're so cute, Kabu-chan. Okay then, I'll see you in about three days. Oh, and if that Escher tries to go anywhere near you, go tell Katsuragi." He says.

I tilt my head.

"Why? But I like Escher." I say, thinking of the kind grey haired man from Fontaine.

"We're looking into his background to see if he's really from Fontaine. It's just a precaution, especially considering how many times we've been swindled before. I'm sure he's fine, just stay safe, okay. If I come back to find out you didn't do so, then I'll be upset." Niwa teases.

He's all smiles now, but I can tell that there's a deeper suspicion that runs within him.

I wave to Niwa and Na-chan as they leave and return to what I was doing.

After a little while my eyes start to droop from doing the same thing over and over again.

"Hey, Kabukimono. Don't fall asleep on Niwa's project now." Another familiar voice says from behind me.

I look up to see Katsuragi standing over me.

"Katsuragi!" I exclaim excitedly.

I stand up and give him a big hug.

Katsuragi pats my head (as everyone in the camp tends to do).

"If you're awake enough to do so, I'd like you to do a favor for me." Katsuragi asks.

I nod.

"I'll do anything for you. What is it?" I ask.

"In a cave outside the furnace area is a whole bunch of iron the others had to leave behind a few days ago because of the rain. Would you be able to go retrieve it?" Katsuragi asks.

"Of course!" I say.

Quickly slipping on my sandals, I begin my quest to retrieve the iron ore.

The cave Katsuragi was talking about really wasn't all that hard to find.

It was even kinda near the Shakkei Pavilion, a place I'm all too familiar with.

Reaching the cave, I swiftly find the iron ore and gather it in my arms, making sure to roll up my sleeves so my white garment doesn't get dirty with grease.

I'm about to leave when a light in the back of the cave catches my eye.

Do I dare investigate it?

My curiosity gets the better of me and I place the iron down to see what this light is about.

It's a very strange light too, since no matter how far down in the cave I descend, I seem to never find it.

It's always ahead of me.

I finally stop in a strangely large underground room to rethink my approach to this.

I don't need myself getting lost down here.

And I especially don't need to hinder Katsuragi by making him search for me.

When I look down again, I find that a strange white mist has filled the room.

That's....odd...

I do believe I am several feet underground.

Why would there be mist?

"Kabukimono...." An unfamiliar feminine voice rings through the cave, seeming to be all around me and yet inside my ears at the same time.

"Wh-who are you? How do you know my name?" I ask the mist voice.

"Kabukimono....the boy to never have a record in Irminsul...." The voice seems to whisper.

"Irminsul? What's that?" I ask.

"Do you realize what you've done? You changed fate. By convincing Niwa Hisahide to venture to Narukami Island with Nakeshi Nishio, you very well saved his life." The voice says.

"Saved his life? But that's a good thing, right? I don't want Niwa to die!" I say, becoming scared.

"You weren't supposed to do that. Only gods have any ability to change fate. A naughty boy needs a punishment." The voice says.

"A punishment? Miss Mist Voice, I swear I didn't mean anything bad. I didn't know I did anything wrong. Please forgive me." I say.

"I have a suitable punishment for you." The voice says.

The mist grows thicker, causing everything I see to be white.

I feel the solid floor drop away as wind picks up around me, filling my ears with the sound of violent whooshing.

"A naughty boy needs a punishment..." The voice repeats. "And what better punishment is there than to force you to see for yourself what really would have happened if Niwa Hisahide died."

My vision goes from white to black and I feel myself falling into the realm of sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to give Kabukimono headpats! Come on Niwa and Katsuragi, share!!! 😾

These first few chapters are going to be short because this is kinda a just for fun book.

It's not going to be as serious as my other books 😌