Chapter 31

E M M A'S POV:

When we drove out of the parking lot and onto the street heading for the freeway, I noticed Christopher being so closed off, awkward and just to himself. He was so quiet it actually scared me. Whenever he's quiet like this I know something bad is about to happen. And it's something I'm not ready to fucking experience right now. It was a bad feeling that my stomach cramped.

I wasn't sure if I did something wrong. I couldn't read his mind, so I was a little confused and very worried. But I was frustrated by how closed off he was being. And I know for a fact, I must've done something wrong for him to ditch, and just act like he's upset but politely pretending he's fine which is unusual for him. Or maybe not. But he usually just comes out being very blunt and telling me how he is feeling. But I'm getting the feeling that he is upset with me. And I want him talking to me. But instead his words were cold and very clear that he was annoyed. So I just stayed in my head, trying to figure out what might be happening right now.

I really hope that this isn't about Matt and me. I might've done all of it wrong. And I didn't wish to start anything when he's driving. And I knew that I definitely did something wrong probably because I was hanging out, catching up with Matt for no more than twenty minutes. And Christopher must've felt pushed away. Which I'm starting to figure out right away. And I do feel obviously sad about it, and I'm certainly so aware that I just messed this up. And he was driving like he was alone. I felt like I was being ghosted, and I felt like crap all of a sudden, because I know I did something not right and maybe I should take the responsibility. But I wasn't going to just assume anything, so I took my time, and just sat in the car in the passenger front seat, buckled in, and letting the freeway be the only sight to my eyes. And I felt stuck because I was definitely stuck on it.

I saw many cars and vehicles just passing along on the freeway beside us, behind us and ahead of us. And I just felt bored, and I was afraid to speak that he might snap at me. I wish there was a way to make him pull over and to stop driving so if an argument broke out we wouldn't get into a car accident.

"Christopher?" I was very patient, trying not to make this a big issue so I sort of just spoke to him like everything was fine. "Are you okay?"

He stepped on the gas pedal with more force and his hands gripped very tightly onto the steering wheel. He was definitely upset about something. And I felt like I was being judged, and I thought we should talk this out so we're not awkward at all.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He spoke very coldly. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know... you seem upset. With me, I think. But I don't know. Did I do something to upset you?" I said.

I was definitely being the reason behind his cold demeanor. But I was gonna try my best to get through this and not get myself into any arguments about this, because I want him to be honest. Even if he is telling the truth, something is definitely wrong. I know him. I know him so well that this isn't normal for him. And I'm gonna try my every best to get through this, and actually realize what could be the truth. I can read people very well and he knows this. And I actually don't know if there is anything bothering him, whether it's me or not.

"I don't know, Emma. Did you?" He mocked me, in the worst tone of voice I've ever heard him say.

"I'm being serious, Christopher. What's wrong?" I said.

Somehow I could see how upset he was. He sped up at least thirty six miles per hour as the speed limit said. And he just looked so upset and so angry about something. But I wasn't going to pressure him anything.

"I don't know, Emma. Maybe because you basically abandoned me in there to talk to a guy I never met. Someone you never mentioned me. Not once. And you made me feel so stupid. I mean... what the hell? What the hell is wrong with you?" He was overly pissed, aggressive and angry at me, and I realized it was too much jealousy coming from him. And I don't know why he hates any guy I talk to that is my friend.