[4] Guardian Angel

~Deathbringer~

I sat down uncomfortably in the leather chair, trying to find anything to distract me. The air was warm and the sunlight shined through the windows, their curtains tied to the side.

Blossom, my supposed therapist, took a seat a few feet in front of me, a clipboard in her hands as she intently watched me settle. I sat, my right ankle propped on my left knee, trying to get comfortable. I was wearing my blue hoodie, the one I was wearing when I proposed to Glory.

Naturally, it was my favorite.

"It's nice to finally meet you, Deathbringer." My name sounded weird in her mouth. "I'm your therapist, Blossom."

"So I've heard," I muttered, not meeting eye contact.

"You don't seem like you particularly want to be here," she observed thoughtfully, not taking her eyes off me as she paid very close attention to my body language. "Why's that?"

"I'm only doing this because my wife asked me to," I answered honestly. If Glory hadn't asked me to do this, I would most definitely not have done this. She's lucky I love her.

"Do you love your wife?" Blossom asked as if she wasn't sure I did.

"Of course I do," I said, finally meeting her eyes. "I'd do anything for her. Apparently this, too." I noticed with a frown on my face when Blossom quickly wrote something down and looked back up at me.

"Your wife would, too, if she's this worried for you," she stated, nodding her head at me. She gave a look of genuine curiosity. "Do you know why she's so worried?"

Yes.

I wanted to say no and just leave, but I knew Glory wouldn't want me to, so I pursed my lips and answered truthfully. "Maybe."

Blossom slowly nodded. "And why do you think she'd be so worried?"

I sighed. "Because she doesn't want me to stress-drink." I knew the questions were only going to start getting more personal, so I was trying to stall until our hour together ran out.

Blossom tilted her head, searching my face. "Is it an instinct to drink when you're stressed?" I stared at her for a moment, wondering how much I could reveal about myself.

It's because I grew up seeing Morroseer drink away all his problems, and I guess that influenced me.

I merely looked away, focusing my gaze on the busy streets outside as I refused to answer.

"What makes you stressed, Deathbringer?" Blossom asked when I didn't answer. I knew she was probably taking notes on my behavior right now, but I didn't care. All I wanted was to go home to Glory and my kids.

"A lot of stuff," I finally answered, not taking my eyes away from the window.

"Like what?"

She's trying to get information out of me, I couldn't help but think.

"Work, people, et cetera, et cetera." By "people", I meant the Sundowns. I'd nearly had a heart attack when Glory had called me, telling me Clover was missing, and then I was furious when I found out she was kidnapped by our beloved neighbors.

"Hm," Blossom hummed thoughtfully. "Do you think–" Before she could continue, my phone rang and Ember's name popped up.

"I have to take this," I muttered, thankful for the disruption. "Hey, Ember."

"Dad–" Her voice was choked and she was hiccuping as her voice tremble. I abruptly sat up, catching Blossom's attention.

"What's wrong?" I frantically asked