[19] Stay

~Glory~

I sat in the car, wanting nothing than to go back and get Deathbringer. His life was in danger, especially if Scruffy and Tiny showed up and the kids weren't there. What if he died... all alone?

"We should turn the car around," I said to Winter, wondering if we had time to go back and get him. "They'll kill him."

"He knew what he was risking when he sent you guys off," Lynx gently said. "And knowing him, he'll be alright." I checked my phone to see if he called at all, and then I realized my phone was dead. What if he called me when he was in danger and I didn't answer?

I turned my head and looked out the window. The moon shone brightly in the night sky as trees rushed  past us.

"I just... I worry for him," I whispered. "He's always doing things for us that threatens his life. He died so I'd live, and I can't let him do that again."

"On the bright side," Jade tried, "at least Dad's trained, right? He knows what he's doing, and he has weapons to defend himself. He still has a chance."

I sighed, turning from the window to look at Jade. I reached up and rested a hand on her cheek, tugging her down until she rested her head on my shoulder. I gently kissed her head, playing with her hair.

"I love you all," I said.

Ember snorted. "Does that mean we're all going to die?"

"It means we're going to get through this," I said, resting my head on Jade's. "Like we always do."

"Are you sure about that?" Nightfall asked, resting his elbow on Python's head, who didn't even seem to notice.

"Py?" I asked, catching his attention. "Are you alright?" He focused his gaze on his lap again, shrugging. His eyes seemed tired, but not physically, more like mentally, as if he was tired of dealing with all of this. Which he must be, I thought.

"This will all be over soon," I promised, slightly wincing.

"It'd better be," Nightfall muttered. "Gemstone is starting to think I'm purposely ignoring her when in reality, I'm dealing with so much family shit. I miss it when it was just the Sundowns bothering us."

"Word," Ember agreed, sighing in aggravation.

"I still can't believe we died and forgot," Jade said quietly. "We actually could've been dead right now. And the worst part is that Py had to see that."

"Let's talk about something positive," Lynx said.

"It's late at night, we're all sleep-deprived, and my dad is going to die," Ember said positively. "What couldn't be positive about that?"

"It's actually early in the morning," Lynx corrected calmly. "I think we should play I Spy. I spy with my little eye something... Is that Deathbringer's car?"

"Huh?" I asked, sitting up and looking out of the window. Lynx wasn't lying. Deathbringer's car was out in front of us, and Winter stopped the car. There were two other cars with him and people who seemed to be other police stepped out.

"Is Dad... arresting us?" Jade asked as she furrowed her eyebrows. I squinted and watched Deathbringer step out of his car with Mrs. Sundown.

"What's he doing with Mrs. Sundown?" Nightfall asked.

"Get out of the vehicle," one of the men said into a speaker, who I identified as Scruffy. "If you refuse to cooperate, we'll have no choice but to take you the fun way." He had a mischievous grin dancing on his lips.