[8] Gunpoint

~Deathbringer~

"Uh... She's sorta my ex," I explained after Glory and Moon confronted me. "But I dated her such a long time ago! I hardly remember what she looks like."

"Yeah, well, apparently she is still mad at you for playing with her heart, and now she wants to kill everybody you love to get back at you." Glory raised an expectant eyebrow at me.

"I didn't 'play' with her heart," I insisted. "I just lost interest. And she was a bit... possessive, so." I waved my hands dismissively. "And besides, how can we trust Moon's vision?"

"So, you don't trust me?" Moon demanded.

"Of course, I do!" I quickly assured them, but she was already talking over me.

"You know, if it weren't for my vision, then Glory would be dead right now," Moon pointed out matter-of-factly. "I did save you guys from the first bullet."

"Why do you always feel the need to break teenagers' hearts?" Glory said with a visible eye roll. The kids were in the lobby, arguing over something dumb, probably.

"To be fair," I defended, "you also broke my heart when I was a teenager." She gave me an exasperated look.

"You know my reason," Glory said. "That's not important right now, anyway. One of your exes is going to succeed in killing all of our kids, apparently. Now all we can do–"

There was suddenly a knock on the door. All of our voices dropped into silence. I held Glory back as I took a step toward it and started walking forward. I hesitantly opened the door to two confused people.

"Um," Lynx squeaked. "Why are we here?"

My eyes landed on Winter and Lynx with a sigh of relief. I quickly let them in before locking the door behind them.

Moon's face brightened like the stars when she saw Winter.

"Winter!" she cried, throwing her hands around his neck and ferociously hugging him. "You're all right! You're alive!"

"Of course I'm alive," he said with a scoff, and I felt Glory grab my arm and drag me to the far side of the room. Kinkajou, Turtle, and Qibli all went running over at the sound of Winter's name being called. The kids were downstairs in the lobby having lunch and arguing about something dumb.

"We're not done talking about this," Glory hissed. I rested my hand on the side of her face, to which she narrowed her eyes.

"Don't worry," I insisted. "You already know I'd die for you and the kids."

"Yeah, well, dying isn't an option," Glory snapped. "So stay alive and help me figure this out. I just want our kids to be safe."

I regarded her for a moment. "Me, too." I looked around before lowering my voice. "I can go interrogate the Sundowns to try to get something out of them."

"If you go, I go, too." Glory gave a look that dared me to argue. I let my hand fall from her face.

"Alright, fine," I said. "But you don't leave my side, okay?"

"Wasn't planning on it," Glory mumbled, crossing her arms. A sly, smug grin spread across my face as I reached over and lifted her chin up to look at me.

"I love your loyalty toward me," I mused teasingly.

"Well, I'm supposed to be loyal, aren't I?" Glory asked, also teasing, but she was smiling.

"You love me," I said, ducking my head so I was closer.

"Really?" Glory asked, matching my low, seductive tone. "I wasn't sure. I thought I married you because I hated you."