Chapter 2: Here To Stay

Y/n was the first to wake the following morning. As soon as she saw Mob sleeping on the floor beside her bed, she remembered everything from last night, leaving her with plenty of questions.

Who is this boy? She wondered. And why was he in my kitchen last night?

She was tempted to wake the sleeping boy, but it felt wrong to do so. He looked like he hadn't slept in a long time, and she figured it would be best to let him rest for as long as he could. Maybe that would be enough time to make him some breakfast.

Y/n quietly snuck out of her bedroom (careful not to wake Mob) and ran downstairs to the kitchen. Both her mother and father were already downstairs, and they had some good smelling food laying out across the dining room table.

"Good morning, Y/n," Mrs. L/n greeted. "How'd you sleep last night?"

"Fine." Y/n tried not to give any sort of hint that there was a stranger sleeping under the same room as her.

"Your mother and I are going to be gone all day," her father announced. "A new hot spring has opened up recently, and we both want to check it out."

"Like a date?" Y/n asked.

"Yes, like a date," Mrs. L/n confirmed. "Can we trust that you'll take care of the house while we're away?"

"Yeah, you don't have to worry about me." Y/n grabbed a serving of pancakes. "What time do you think you'll be back?"

"I'd say pretty late, but we may decide to stay overnight at the last minute. We'll let you know," Mr. L/n calculated.

"Sounds good. I'll just take some of these pancakes upstairs. There was some, uh, homework I forgot to take care of last night." Y/n stood up and gathered some pancakes and a glass of milk for Mob.

"We'll be on our way soon, so don't be confused if you don't see us," Mrs. L/n warned.

Y/n was already halfway up the stairs. "I know. Have fun on your date!"

When she had returned to the comfort of her bedroom, she slowly pushed the door open. Doing so, she accidentally woke up Mob, who sat up startled.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you," Y/n apologized. "I went downstairs to get you some breakfast. Here."

She set the plate of pancakes and glass of milk on the miniature table she had in her bedroom and signaled for Mob to scoot closer to it. Mob gratefully began to dig in.

"My parents are going to be gone all day, which should give us some time to talk," Y/n explained. "If you're going to stay here, you have to answer some questions first."

Mob nodded, then gulped down the milk. He seemed to really enjoy it.

Y/n smiled. "Alright then! Let's start off with introductions. I told you my name last night, so now it's your turn. What's your name?"

Mob set down the cup and didn't meet Y/n in the eye. He was still a little uncomfortable talking to her. "M-Mob."

"Your name is Mob?" Y/n asked. "That's an interesting name. Where'd you come from?"

Mob did his best to explain. "Um, a-a place with lots of scary people inside. There are many rooms and people in white coats. There was even someone in charge."

"I see." Y/n nodded. "How old are you?"

Mob hesitated. "I... I don't know."

Y/n tilted her head to the side slightly. "You don't know your age?"