Chapter 4: The Hunt Has Begun

Five days later, Y/n had a dream about Mob.

(Start music here)

It started off in a field of sunflowers, where Y/n had found herself making flower crowns. She turned at the sound of a quiet voice and smiled wide when she realized it was Mob. He was wearing the Salt Middle School uniform and held a bouquet of the yellow flowers in his hands, his cheeks flushed ever so slightly. Mob held out the bouquet, signaling for Y/n to take them.

“Wait, I don’t have anything to give to you,” Y/n protested. Frantically, she scanned the area, hoping to find Mob a gift. A wave of relief washed over her when she remembered the flower crown she was making. “Here, you can have this crown.”

Y/n and Mob traded what they had eagerly. Mob gently placed his new flower crown over his head, while Y/n admired the bouquet.

“It’s beautiful,” Y/n thanked.

“I’m happy you like it,” Mob gushed. “I was worried you wouldn’t.”

Y/n smiled warmly. “Of course I like it! You mean a lot to me.”

Mob moved in closer to Y/n. “You mean a lot to me too.”

Y/n pulled Mob in for a hug. Her heart felt fuzzy as Mob’s warmth surrounded her, making her feel at peace. Suddenly, she had an urge to say something– to tell Mob what she was really thinking.

Without much time to prepare mentally, she blurted, “S̸̼̥̹͓̲̩͛̏͊̿̽̎̓̅̈́͒̕͘͠h̸̨̝̙̞̘̻̗͔͚̜͑̄̐̄̇͐̔͂̑͆̕͜ĭ̴̦̭͔̰̮͈͚͎̮̖̠̯͇͓̈́̓̉͛ͅg̵̳͇̘̼̙͕̤̦̐̉ͅě̵͔̼̱̪̆͒͗̋̾̂̽̀̚o̸̤͉͙̤̜͗͒͝͠, I love you.”

Y/n’s heart stopped for a split second as realization hit her. Saying Mob’s name felt foreign on her tongue. It was almost as if his name had been blurred and erased from existence.

“I love you too,” Mob admitted. He squeezed Y/n tight, making Y/n forget about her previous concern. Was he… forcing her to forget?

(Start music here)

This moment was short-lived.

All the sunflowers around Mob and Y/n decayed and were no longer yellow. A low rumbling sound could be heard as the ground trembled. Y/n jumped up startled when her bouquet decayed as well, along with Mob’s flower crown.

“What’s going on?” Y/n asked, looking Mob dead in the eye. She was starting to get scared.

Mob didn’t reply. He only gazed back at Y/n, a flash of fear dancing in his dark eyes. The trembling increased and the sky darkened. Along with the rumbling, a new sound came into play: the stomping of boots.

An army of angry men stormed towards the two teens with guns in their hands. At the sight of them, Y/n immediately grabbed Mob’s hand.

“C’mon, S̸̼̥̹͓̲̩͛̏͊̿̽̎̓̅̈́͒̕͘͠h̸̨̝̙̞̘̻̗͔͚̜͑̄̐̄̇͐̔͂̑͆̕͜ĭ̴̦̭͔̰̮͈͚͎̮̖̠̯͇͓̈́̓̉͛ͅg̵̳͇̘̼̙͕̤̦̐̉ͅě̵͔̼̱̪̆͒͗̋̾̂̽̀̚o̸̤͉͙̤̜͗͒͝͠, we have to go!” Y/n urged. Mob didn’t move. “S̸̼̥̹͓̲̩͛̏͊̿̽̎̓̅̈́͒̕͘͠h̸̨̝̙̞̘̻̗͔͚̜͑̄̐̄̇͐̔͂̑͆̕͜ĭ̴̦̭͔̰̮͈͚͎̮̖̠̯͇͓̈́̓̉͛ͅg̵̳͇̘̼̙͕̤̦̐̉ͅě̵͔̼̱̪̆͒͗̋̾̂̽̀̚o̸̤͉͙͗͒͝͠, now!”