CHAPTER 6 | THE BEAUTY OF FLAME

POV [ Narrator ]

The testing grounds, large, open, a perfect places to perform many different test's of machinery. And today was one of the days that a test of such a kind was happening, and it was a duel.

Two Mobile Suits stood a distance from one another and both were armed with completely different forms of weaponry, with the first being armed with twin axes that burned a golden orange that produced a terrifying amount of heat, enough that nearby shrubbery that was already bare caught fire, burning to ash.

The other Mobile Suit was equipped with a shield and similar glowing weapon that instead of being an axe, was a cleaver of some kind, instead of just the edge that burned the entire weapon glowed that brilliant orange.

The weapons both machines held were one of the many things that were being tested at this sight, however the main thing being tested were the Mobile Suits, as both were different in design, with the main defining feature on both being a test rig for a mobility system on their backs.

It was a few more minutes until a gunshot rang out, this was the signal for both Mobile Suits to begin the duel, and it was mere seconds before both rushed into battle, with both MS's heading straight for one another, the shield user starting the clash with a parry which deflected the twin axe wielding suits overhead blow to the side, the shield MS countering immediately after with a upwards swing aiming to disarm the other Mobile Suit literally by swinging for its shoulder, the Axe Mobile Suit reacted to this with using the thruster system it had to push itself upwards and put distance between them, this succeeded in the most part, failing in the fact its foot got nicked by the Shield Mobile Suits sword, losing some of its foots armor and impeding its mobility slightly, as when it landed its lost its balance for a moment, this opportunity was not ignored by its combatant, as they rushed forwards with a full burn on their own thruster system to close the distance that was hastily created, shoulder checking the other suit with its shield and sending them flying across the testing field, the Axe wielding Mobile suit ended up embedded in a pile of dirt it created as it dug into the ground.

Both Mobile Suits were stationary for the moment before another shot rang out, this one signaled the next testing of the suits, which was going to begin after a selected amount of repairs.

This led to both suits making their way over to the hangers that were built into a hill, a new addition to the testing grounds, along with a actual runway which had many aircraft moving around on it.

"Maaa! It doesn't feel like Ariel at all..!"

A familiar voice cried out as the person piloting the Axe Mobile Suit, who was shown to be Suletta dismounted the machine, walking over to her mother with a slight huff.

"Suletta thats one up for me!"

Another familiar voice called out, this being Arashi who was piloting the Shield Mobile Suit, he was midway through dismounting before getting clocked in the head by a flying wrench, this wrench was owned by a nearby mechanic, this individual was a female, with ashy skin, and strawberry blonde hair, this individual was in the moment shouting at Arashi.

"What did I tell you! What did I tell you! Don't over do the throttle! AND WHAT DO YOU DO-"

She was cut off by Arashi standing up in a huff and glaring at her before throwing back in own shouts.

"I maxed out the throttle to see what I could do with it! Im sorry Serina for fucking up your child but I AM A TEST PILOT! I have to TEST IT to SEE IF IT WILL BUCKLE!"

His argument was valid and returned back in full to the female named Serina, who was a apprentice mechanic working under Wendy and Nyla, the girl was roughly around the same age as him and the two have been having back and forths like this for the better part of a year, since after the moment of Arashi making his own convictions, he decided to dive in and go along with Elnora's plans and continue, but back to his interaction between Serina and himself, it was a back and forth bereding of one another, ending with him and Serina being picked up by Nyla and squished into a hug.

"Now now, a mechanic and their pilot shouldn't argue with one another! They should be a lovely couple and work together to better one another!"

Nyla's words made both individuals irked and pushed away from the extremely strong woman that was Nyla, both shivering as they made gagging gestures.

"Just no-"

Both spoke at the same time, ready to jump at one another's throats, however they didn't instead walking towards the Shield Mobile Suit together as they begin sharing information with one another, it was a simple conversation of two intelligent individuals! But devolved quite quickly when the simple words of 'Thruster Issues' came into the conversation, with Arashi starting it.

"Its simple! You just need to change this valve with a automatic one!"

"No you absolutely stupid- Its manual for a REASON! The automatic valve wont operate due to its motors not being strong enough to compete with the fuel flow! It NEEDS to be manual so it can be set before hand! Thats why I told you not to throttle too much!"

The two were back at each other throats, but this time no one broke them up as they instead watched, with the first being Suletta to start laughing, the cause of course, was watching her brother be so dramatic, and it was hilarious to her. She of course was followed soon by the rest of the people in the hangar, them all either having quiet chuckles or full blown laughter.

"Brother! Brother! Keep going, keep going!"

Suletta called out with giddy joy, the girl smiling wildly as Arashi looked over to her with a glare that could rival the gods themselves, the girl reacting with even more laughter as she took off around the building, Arashi immediately going to chase after her only to be caught by Nyla as he attempted to vault a table she was beside, her grip being stronger than his squirming. It ended quickly as everything in the base calmed down, with Arashi standing over beside the shield unit as he scratched the back of his head. It was obviously still sore from getting clocked by a wrench.

"Did you have to hit me so hard?"

He'd ask Serina, the female in question currently climbing up the back of the mobile suit that they stood beside, it was also at this time that people would be clearing out of the hangar. So it was just Arashi and Serina within the hangar with a few other late night workers.

"'Stupid fuel line- What did you say?"

She would curse at the machinery she was examining, cursing slightly as the item in questions was the very fuel valve they were arguing about, the line very clearly oozing out some form of liquid, making the girl somewhat frustrated.

"Tch- It was nothing bolt for brains."

He turned on his heel, though stopped as he heard a yelp. He cursed as he walked over to the back of the Mobile Suit and clambered up to beside the female, the person in question shaking their hand.

"If your going to change the fuel line now, at least have some to help you."

Arashi had nudged her over slightly as he unzipped his jacket and rolled up his sleeves, shoving his hands deep into the inner workings of the machine, oil and other lubricant's spraying out as he pulled the clamps off of the valves connections, this of course led him to cursing wildly as he removed the valve.

"Stupid pressurized systems.."

He muttered, earning a chuckle from Serina who was assisting him with the changes. It took them an hour, a solid hour, to fully shift the system and install the valve.. However tuning it and finding the correct output and such and coding was a completely different story.

"Alrighty!"

Arashi exclaimed as he climbed up and over the Mobile Suit, pressing a release on the hatch to open the cockpits entrance, climbing into the place after gesturing to Serina to come. The girl grabbing a wrench as she prepared to throw, but decided against it, instead complying with his requests and getting into the extended secondary pilot seat, pulling up smaller displays and consoles as she began the process of coding.. A fickle bitch is what Serina would call it.

"We have just enough power reserves and fuel to test, so lets get this done and dusted with quickly, And yes I repressurized the fuel line before getting in."

Serina explained as she continued looking through screens, giving Arashi a dig in the side after speaking, her way of telling him to start the MS and begin trying it out.

"Alright! Alright! Just quit it with the physical violence."

He grumbled as the MS woke, the machine getting up as it began slowly walking, performing calibrations with Arashi's steady hand, and Serina's quick changes to other inner workings balancing out some minor error's that appeared with their quick changes and rigging in the power lines.

But now Arashi brought the MS out into the testing field, bringing the equipped weapons as they need to be tested with the engines and the new fuel delivery lines. With another nod from Serina, Arashi pushed the controls forwards moving the MS further into the testing area.

"Seals are strong, the new valve IS holding, however I'm seeing minor flucti- HOLY SHIT!"

Cutting Serina off, Arashi throttled the controls, the MS lurching forwards as he howled in joy! In the previous tests he kept off the gas peddle for the reasons of Serina's requests.. Even if it looked like he didn't, and kept within parameters given to maintain the engines throttle and not 'red line' it, but with the automatic valve and Serina in the seat making changes, he thought it to be the perfect time to give this prototype MS a run for its money.

"SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN!"

She cried out with tears flooding from her eyes as Arashi pulled extremely strenuous maneuvers with the machine, a smile took over his face as he wrenched the controls upwards, the MS responding with activating its multiple thrusters and orientating in the 'down' direction, launching the MS upwards and towards the sky, the beginning to spin wildly as its engines cut out, and its limbs moved into a spread eagle pose, contrails forming at its fingers and feet as it slowly glided back down to the ground, with a small problem.

"Serina.. Thrusters, they are not responding.."

Arashi's voice was calm and collected, however his expression was one that had multiple beads of sweat rolling down it, with a slight frown and wide eyes.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN THEY ARE NOT- Oh for HEAVENS SAKE!"

She screamed pulling out multiple screens and running a varying amount of diagnostics, it was rushed by her with the minor problem of the ground closely approaching.. They would be fine.. Mostly fine at least. The MS did have plenty of cushioning abilities built in, but those were for landing with thrusters included, and she didn't want to feel how it was to crash land in this MS.

"Try now! Try NOW!"

She exclaimed with a shout, her hands covering her face as the displays showed warnings and the ground extremely close.. However they didn't hit the ground, instead the screen stuttered for a moment before it shifted to the sun beaming down on them.. Arashi had bullshitted her..

"And thats for hitting me over the head with a wrench you hooligan."

Arashi had his arms crossed as he talked the Mobile Suits controls moving slightly on their own as the flew around the Colony. Many buildings and other structures visible as people who were on the ground spotted the MS flying over head, smiling and cheering as they recognized the machine, it was wide spread news that they were making a MS and were planning to use it to get into the Benerit Group, it was one of the best ways to get the colony out there and popular. But back to Arashi and Serina, both were quiet, especially Serina, the girl was huffing on the other seat, looking through her many screens taking small glances at the passing structure, slightly smiling, this was her home and it had progress so far so quickly.. And it was thanks to Arashi's family so she was grateful, it showed in her eyes occasionally, but that did not change the obvious fact that both of them were like oil and water.

"We are coming up on the center elevators build zone.."

Arashi muttered as he retook the controls, steering them away from the item in question and back towards the Hangar.. They had been flying for a while and it was getting dark.

"Serina after you finish your apprenticeship.. And get out of Nyla's hair, where do you want to head?"

The question was a somewhat weird question from Arashi, he did think of the future a lot, and planned ahead to make things work, but he was very much curious in what the engineer in training was going to do, she was his mechanic per-say, and anyone with a connection to him did make his curiosity peak on what direction they want to head.

"Why would you be askin' me a question like- Bloody weirdo, if you want to know so badly, I'm going to head to that fancy ass school that is run by the Benerit Group.. I want to start up my own Engineering group to make Mobile Suits and other machines to help here.."

Her words were true, very true, Serina even being the aggressive female she was, still had a big heart, that was very much made of gold. She'd do anything to help her home.. Anything.

"Funnily enough.. That's the place that Elnora wants to send Suletta and myself.. Wanting to expand our horizon's and such-"

Arashi explained his reasoning to the question, but his reasoning made Serina raise and eyebrow, confusion was evident in her as she didnt expect Elnora to send them to the Benerit Group's school.. The reasoning why she didn't think Elnora would send them is due to the bitterness she felt when they talked about the group in question, and how does Serina know of this bitterness? Due to where she grew up is her answer, she gained the ability to really understand peoples emotions in her part of town, since emotion is so intertwined with the culture of the town, and is one of the main reasons she has so much aggression.. Being taught to wear your heart on your sleeve and live by your beliefs.. A strong moto her Pap taught her.

"Since we will be going to the same place probably.. I got something really cool to show you. They are a friend of mine."

Arashi direction in this want to show was unknown, but the emotions displayed were joyful and a childish want to show something to another, and that thing was quite obvious in who he wanted to introduce to Serina, but very much not obvious to Serina herself, as the girl could not figure out at all what Arashi meant.. One of the MANY reasons why she disliked the boy, always felt to her that he was hiding something.

Away from those thoughts, they past the testing range and went further ways away from the town, the outskirts, a place Serina herself never frequented, but knew that Arashi's family lived around and had their main workplace at, and the Hangar that they were approaching was the primary hangar they used, one that was very close to their home but far enough away that it was very much isolated.

And with a slight skid and loud thud, the prototype MS was landed and both Serina and Arashi clambered out of the machine, which, was in a hunkered position and completely powered down, leaving Serina for a moment to do a quick run around it and check for damages! Of course she found some scratches and a few armor panels missing, but the main thing was the new fuel lines which were still holding, this surprised the girl a major bit, but she simply scratched her head and rubbed her nose, making her way over to the hangar, which Arashi had already disappeared into, leaving Serina to enter herself and become gob smacked as she enabled the lighting..

"Two.. Mobile Suits?"

Now Serina DID know about the MS's that they owned but she had never seen them up close and personal like this, the few occasions she did hear about them was when her parents talked about them, or her mentor Nyla talked about them with Elnora.. But she could only get out snidbits, Never the full story.

"They look beautiful, smooth, sleek, and very much well designed.."

It took her a bit before she approached the bays that they were sitting in, watching one of the Mobile Suits begin powering up, making her take a couple steps back, the MS in question being the brilliant white MS, it was only after a moment of it powering up and moving out of its bay that she watched the machine turn towards her and crouch down, with the Mobile Suits cockpit opening, revealing Arashi who was seated in it, and suited up?

"Arashi I know your a test pilot.. But why in the hell are you taking out one of your family's Mobile Suits! I already cover for you whenever you practically DESTROY the prototypes! Dont forget I also REPAIR THOSE!"

She ranted slightly but was staring at him shocked when the hand of the MS lay against the floor and he gestured her over.

"Come on! They don't really care if I bring out my Aibo for a spin! He's mine after all! Also throw this on."

"He's yours?! And throw what on..?"

Her questions were answered when a suit dropped down onto the ground, landing in front of her, confusing her a great amount as it looked to be a space suit of some kind, and it was obviously a high grade one.

"Why do I need this.. Why are you- Ugh forget about it."

The groaning and bitching ended as she gave up arguing with Arashi and decided to follow allow with the males wants, throwing on the suit that fit her perfectly surprisingly.. She was a big woman.. Being a mechanic makes you bulk up. But it fit her snug.

With the suit on she stood onto the hand and balanced herself as it brought her to the cockpit, stepping into the LARGE room that was the control area for the MS and raising her eyebrow again as a side seat deployed from the side of the main control area, with gestures from Arashi to take a seat, she plonked herself onto the chair as the hatch closed up and the room completely went black, before it slowly regained light as the many screens? That lit up created a one for one view outside.

"Welcome aboard my Aibo, they are somewhat wearying of new passengers so do cut them some slack.. But anyway lets get this flight underway!"

He exclaimed as Serina let out a small 'eep' as the MS took off throw the roof as it opened up previously.

Arashi was taking his time with piloting as the place that he was heading towards was a place which needed some time to prepare before you arrived, the place in question being the main exit hangar to space, his reasonings to why he wanted to head into space for a flight.. Was something he couldn't put his finger on, but it was one of those feelings he felt in his gut, and the notion in his gut told him to bring someone so he thought to bring someone who'd enjoy the flight.

The coast to the exit hangar to space was slow but they arrived there just as the sun began setting, it was late and Arashi intended to speed this little trip of theirs up and get home before questions were asked to them when they did intend to return. So with a quick call and Arashi being as charismatic as possible they coasted through the exit process with the exit clear and open for them.. It would be a first for one, and a well welcomed feeling for the other as the Unicorn began a slow walk to the launch area, where their pace increased before tearing off the ground with its thrusters at full burn, the sudden force hitting Serina and Arashi hard, whipping back one while the other smiled fighting against the natural attacker.

"Its been so LONG!"

Arashi cackled as he used the Unicorns controls to full burn, flying out of the somewhat weak gravity that was mercurys, off and into the inky black that was space, with no real direction but to soar like a bird. But the flight was slowed down to a coast, as the other passenger of the flight was on the verge of falling unconscious and had somewhat paler skin than usual.

"Oop- Sorry there Serina.. Kinda forgot you were in the cockpit with me."

"K-kinda forgot?!"

Serina threw a shaky dig to Arashi, the other wincing as it made contact, the little scuffle ending with Arashi nervously chuckling. But now, both took in the beauty of the endless expanse that was.. Space.. With stars, planets and many other entities- Now though they slowly began floating further through the inky black, Arashi almost at home with the feeling of no gravity, smiling and chuckling at the funny feelings his stomach felt- It was obvious bliss for the boy, and even though it wasn't familiar to the other, Serina was enjoying it too, rising up from her seat as they both laughed together, this was one of the few moments, they both had joy in the same moment.

The two drifted for quite some time in space, as Arashi and Serina buzzed idea's off one another as the drifted inside the Unicorns cockpit, rolling and tumbling in the decently large space with panels and other things to continue their conversations and disputes, it lasted long but both reached a calm when the Unicorns displays lit up with phone symbols, it being replaced with the face of a mildly angry Nyla who was staring at the two through the screen, her voice silent.

"Shit- How long have we been up here?"

Arashi would ask Serina as he floated back to the controls, seating himself into the very comfy chair that was his aibo's control area, the female he was talking to clambering into her own seat as the two looked towards the screen.

"I don't know! I lost track of time when you TOOK OFF TO HERE!"

Both were whispering to one another until the mute was suspiciously disabled, letting Nyla's rants break the somewhat quiet room.

"-YOU PINT SIZED BRATS! Do you know how worried we have been?! Neither of you showed up-"

The voice was put on silent once again by Arashi who glared into no direction in particular as he grabbed the controls tightly, shaking them before hanging up on Nyla's call. This earned the a shocked expression from Serina.

"We are so dead when we get h-HOME!"

She screamed with the sudden burst forward of speed that came from Arashi throttling the controls, this was also done as a vast amount of displays appeared around his left side, the right of course not being filled as Serina sat there gripping the seat for dear life.. 

"SLOW DOWN! SLOW DOWN!"

She shouted grabbing onto Arashi's arm while also punching him in the side, this earned grunts from Arashi, but it did not make him slow down, as a audible 'CLUNK' echoed throughout the cockpit, this belonged to two 'wings' of sorts connecting to the back of the Unicorn.

These wings were the wings of the Phenex, one of the three siblings the Unicorn had, and the reason why he came up here.. Serina was just a addition to his little mission, and he brought her along to get her in trouble, some more payback. 

And so with the 'wing's collected, Arashi dived back down towards the colony that was their home, making shifts and slight course corrections as he landed the MS down onto the barren wastes that was the place outside of the colonies dome.. It was like a hellscape, no life, no color, just a emotionless and deathly grey.

"Quit your whining and punching, were back on the ground, we will be home soon."

He explained as he gave the girl a dig back, elbowing her in the nose as she recoiled, grabbing the area as she growled back at him, throwing herself onto him as she got him into a chokehold, Arashi countered this with gritting his teeth and releasing the control surface's of the Unicorn, tapping the chair twice as he jumped up getting into a full blown 'scrap' with the female, not pulling punches as the two fought, with both individuals using childish means to fight until Arashi got struck in the groin.. This lead him to cursing loudly and angrily.

"You fucking BITCH!"

The male spun the female around as he reversed her previously held 'chokehold' into a version of his own, using his legs around the womans neck as he pulled the arm down, tightening the hold until it ended with Serina tapping out, and Arashi letting go of her before crawling back to the seat, holding his groin attentively as he groaned in pain.

"The one thing I told you in these fights.. Was no groin strikes.. That and eye gouging!"

He shouted at Serina with a obvious and continuous pain in his voice, the female responding with silence as she held her neck and elbow gently, rubbing them slightly as she mumbled to herself.

"How did he do that.. It was in an instant-"

The question running in her thoughts was Arashi using a old technique of his, his previous life as a soldier was not forgotten even so far from it, instead it was reinforced in his mind as he used what he learned to push himself further than before, and that included the training of CQB that was drilled into his head. Now one would ask why would Serina and Arashi have fights like this! Simple answer, to win an argument, Long answer, for Arashi to teach Serina how to protect herself, the simple answer was what Serina used it for, and the Long answer was Arashi's want in the conflicts, and damn was it a double edged sword for Arashi since the woman did not pull her punches even if its meant to be 'training'.

Back to the end of their little 'journey' Arashi was slowly gliding them back into the dock and entrance to the dome, landing the Unicorn into the bay as they went through the Airlocks to reach the main area, only to be forced to move quickly as a mobile suit came flying at them, this made Arashi go slightly into overdrive as it was one that he could not remember seeing.. Though he went even more into overdrive as he spotted smoke coming from the town..

"Thats why there was no one at the docks..- These fucking bastards.."

Serina heard and looked in shock at Arashi's words, the charging MS being counter and flattened into the ground, the MS and pilot being ended.