Chapter 3: Hope...only hope!

Washington, DC....

Dead silence. No one dared to make a sound. The couple kept themselves wrapped up tight in a hug...trying to hold on to hope! Tan sat quietly, scrolling aimlessly through his social media pages; going through videos without any interest or focus at all. Hondo kept to himself, still trying to get a grasp of reality. Sarzo continued to pray in whispers, while Street paced up and down the small space, staring at the floor.

Sigh. Hondo felt terrible. An enormous wave of guilt swept through his body and soul, inhibiting him from clear thoughts. He couldn't find comfort in any position: sitting, standing, leaning against the wall.

Murderer! Murderer! Murderer! Murderer!

A voice inside of his head kept repeating it. Over and over and over and over and over. He was so confused, so distracted, so...

SLAM

"Officer Street?" called nurse Dorothy, who appeared from behind the door in a rush.

Everyone in the room turned to her. Even those who had been sitting jumped to their feet immediately. The older nurse quickly found herself surrounded by four nervous looking men.

"Yes, Dory! How is she?" Street asked, almost losing his breath.

She pinched her lips, bowed her head and then raised her gaze. "The doctors would like to talk to you." 

Tan, Sarzo and Hondo simultaneously turned their necks to Street, who took a deep breath.

"Um...actually, Sarzo, you should go. You're her direct family." Street said slowly, turning to the older gentleman.

Sarzo bowed his head, then turned to the nurse. "Can we both go? He has been here with her since day one."

"I'm sorry, but only one family member is allowed at a time. Plus, the doctors need to consult with a family member now for further procedures." the nurse responded softly.

Oh my God, Hondo lamented. He sighed, while tilting his head back and closing his eyes. What procedures? What does it mean? What happened to Chris?

 "Sarzo, it's ok. Please." Street whispered with a nod, tears forming around his eyes.

"Alright." Sarzo responded in a whisper.

Jim pinched his lips shut, taking one last deep breath. The older man nodded quietly at the nurse, as she led the way through the doors. All three officers gathered closer, as they watched the nurse and Sarzo go through the doors.

Since the doors closed slowly, Hondo took a peak and noticed three men wearing white coats and two women in scrubs in the middle of the short hall. The doors approached Sarzo, who walked slowly towards them. When they reached him, Sarzo froze in front of that welcoming committee, while Nurse Dorothy spoke and signaled to the men in coats.

Just as the doors closed, all three men converged and looked in. All three saw Sarzo cup his hands forward and dump his face in it, covering his mouth. One of the medics talked, while Dorothy placed a gentle hand on his shoulder.

SLAM

Meanwhile, Harbor House Restaurant...

The sun was shinning down hard, making the temperature perfect for a day out sailing. The warm breeze, the soft waves and the crowded docks made it the ideal day for a romantic date. Many owners had taken their boats out for sail, families gathered around the pier park by the coast, the beach at the far end looked like fun and the view was magnificent. Perfect day, indeed!