Chapter 35: Officer down

While the kids struggled to keep control of the hose, which was hitting everywhere but the original target, the angry man squinted his left eye, as he inched it closer to the lens. The water was still dripping down his head, but he was determined. He noticed both helicopters had sent down thick ropes and officers were moving quickly to descend unto the roof. He centered his weapon on the first one...

"Gotcha!" he said triumphantly, with a short snicker.

SSSSSWOOOOOSHHHH

The powerful water flow swung violently towards the shooter, hitting him right on the hands. The force was so much that it pushed the man back, but not before pulling the trigger.

POOOOOWWWW

A loud explosion was heard, as the missile escaped and headed towards the helicopter. The impact on the shooter caused the projectile to swift slightly to the right, giving the pilot enough chance to be able to move the apparatus enough to miss the danger. The only problem? Two officers were making their way down!

 "AAAAAHHHHHH!" Officer Cabrera yelled as she fell backwards, trying to dodge the missile going by her.

"CABRERA!" Tan yelled, trying to reach out. He held on to the rope right across from her and watched her hands pull away from the rope.

Fortunately for her, the missile went by without causing her any damage. However, her effort to miss it resulted in her letting go of the rope momentarily, which created an unbalance in her grasp. When she tried to regain possession, she lost grip and found herself falling backwards!

PLAAAAAT

Her back took on her full weight, as her head bounced off the strong ground. She stopped screaming...and moving altogether! Her eyes closed halfway and her breathing slowed down. Her mouth was opened, but no sound came out!

"CABRERA!" Hondo called from the rope.

He screamed for her several times, so did the other officers. Deacon suddenly pulled back from the scene and took it upon himself to report it back to camp. He grabbed his radio, pushed down the button, but was surprised no sound was heard.

"Hicks! Commander! We have an officer down!" he shouted through the noise. No response. He listened closely, nothing. He shouted "Sir! Sir?" 

Tan made his way down quickly, going over the fallen officer who had yet to move a muscle or make any sound. Hondo and the rest of the officers looked on, while Deacon continued on his radio. Just as Tan bent down to check on her...

POW POW POW POW POW

The attacker took out an automatic weapon and began desperately shooting towards the incomer, making the officer retrieve. Tan kept screaming at Cabrera, trying to get her to respond, but could not drag her to safety due to the incoming vicious attack. The boys ran back to hiding, letting go of the hose. Fortunately, one of Tan's shot perforated the man's shoulder, sending him backwards. The man stabilized on his feet quickly, resuming the action.

POW POW POW POW POW POW

"Sergeant! Sergeant!" called the pilot, desperately.

"Yeah? What?"  Hanson called, with Hondo turning to look.

"THE PANEL WENT BLANK!" shouted the desperate pilot, hitting as many buttons as possible.

"The hell is going on?" Hondo asked out loud, frowning hard.

"Hanson" Deacon called, still holding on to his radio, "we got no communication with the mobile center! Hondo, can you try your earpiece?"

Hanson frowned, turning from the pilot to Deacon to Hondo.