chapter 35 :Broken Trust

Amara pov

Tears streamed down my face as I continuously wiped them away, but there was no relief. Each passing moment, my chest tightened, as if it could burst at any minute. Why does my life have to be like this? First, I lost my parents, and now the person I cherish the most is fighting for their life because of me.

Guilt overwhelmed me as I suppressed my sobs, afraid to let even a whimper escape. I could see the driver stealing glances at me through the rearview mirror, pity evident in their eyes. But their judgment meant nothing to me. All I wanted was to see him, to be by his side. I pleaded silently, praying to God, hoping that He wouldn't take away the only reason I had left to live.

Earlier, I felt utterly worthless, like a discarded object without any purpose. I waited eagerly for Jungkook to arrive, believing that he would bring solace. But in the end, he didn't show up, leaving me defeated and abandoned. Just as I was about to give up and leave, my phone rang, displaying his name on the caller screen. At first, I tried to ignore the call, hoping to avoid more disappointment. However, the incessant ringing pierced through my hesitation, compelling me to answer. The voice on the other end was unfamiliar, its words leaving me stunned and speechless.

"What do you want now?" I managed to say, my lips trembling with emotion.

"Hello, ma'am. The person who owns this phone has been in a car accident. They tried to dial this number but lost consciousness before making the call. They have been taken to Busan City Hospital. If you are a relative or know someone who is, please inform them," the voice on the phone explained.

As the taxi pulled up to the hospital gate, I hastily paid the driver without even bothering to check the amount. My mind was clouded with worry and desperation as I rushed inside.

Approaching the reception, I pleaded with desperation in my voice, "Can you please tell me where the person involved in the car accident is?"

The receptionist glanced at me briefly before shifting her gaze to the computer screen in front of her.

"Ma'am, can you tell me how you are related to him?" she asked, her tone carrying a hint of curiosity.

"I-I'm his wife, Amara  Jeon. Amara . Can you please tell me now?" I responded, not caring if my impatience came across as rude.

After a quick glance at the screen, she finally provided me with the room numbers.

Jungkook pov

I looked around the room, still feeling groggy from just waking up. The doctor had checked me and told me that my right arm was fractured, so they put it in a sling. My forehead was bandaged too. I wanted to leave the hospital, but the painkillers they gave me made it hard because they made me feel numb.

As I tried to sit up and stand, my legs gave out, and I stumbled back onto the bed. Frustrated, I couldn't help but let out a growl. The nurse noticed and glanced over, coming to dress my wounds.

Suddenly, the door slammed open, and I was surprised to see Amara rushing in, looking really worried. Our eyes met, and I saw her scanning my body, searching for any injuries. Her gaze stopped at my hand, and then she cautiously took a step closer.

She moved slowly, as if she was afraid that being near me might hurt me. I couldn't tear my eyes away from her face, tears still streaming down her cheeks, her nose red from crying. It broke my heart to see her so devastated. She approached me and took a moment to silently study me.

I watched her as she raised her hand, and without warning, she slapped me hard. It caught me off guard, turning my face to the side. I closed my eyes, stunned by her action. When I finally looked at her again, she seemed dazed, her hands frozen in the air. I couldn't find the right words to say, my lips parted, and I took a shaky breath.