Chapter Eighteen: The Black Arrow

The next morning came hard since none of us had gotten the sufficient amount of sleep needed for what lay ahead for us, but we pushed on anyway. I graciously accepted the armor and a ceremonial fur cloak granted to me by a servant of the Master, and when I emerged from my rooms, I saw that the rest of the company had received them, too.

We made it outside into the brisk morning air, air that was not nearly as frigid as yesterday evening's. The sun shone on the town, lighting up the smiles of the townsfolk and turning the lake water into a beautiful glowing mirror.

I followed Bilbo as we headed for the docks in a single file line, suppressing a smile at the armor and cloak that all but swallowed him up, and the helmet on his head looked all the more ridiculous.

"You do know we're one short?" Bilbo suddenly spoke, glancing around. That was when we realized we were indeed missing one of our own.

"Where's Bofur?" I asked, using my height as a means to scan for him in the crowd, but I didn't see him anywhere.

"He's not here, we leave him behind," Thorin said simply.

"We'll have to if we're to find the door before nightfall," Balin agreed with him. "We can risk no more delays."

I reluctantly found myself also agreeing with Thorin. If Bofur wasn't here, that was his own fault. We had to leave now.

We got into the boat one by one. I stepped in after Nori, helping him load the weapons onto the boat. I watched as Kili approached to climb in, but Thorin stopped him, pushing him back onto the dock.

"Not you," Thorin said, not meeting his nephew's eyes. Kili looked confused at his uncle's remark.

"We must travel at speed, you will slow us down," Thorin clarified, handing me an axe. I gave it to Nori, hardly paying attention to my task as my ears honed in to their conversation.

"What are you talking about?" Kili asked. He hoped Thorin wasn't serious, as did the rest of us. "I'm coming with you."

"No." At Thorin's firm order, I stared at him, barely registering what was happening. Was he really going to do this to Kili?

"I'm going to be there when that door is opened," Kili insisted when Thorin finally met his gaze. "When we first look upon the halls of our fathers, Thorin---"

"Kili," Thorin interrupted him. "Stay here. Rest. Join us when you're healed."

Healed? I thought, then really looked at Kili. Oh no. He was paler than ever before, looking absolutely sick. How could I not have noticed earlier?

Thorin stepped away, and Kili sat down dejectedly on a barrel on the dock, gazing sadly at the boat. We made eye contact, and guilt pulled at my chest. I had been so hard on him last night, acting selfish and wanting to keep my secrets. But then here was Kili, getting more ill every minute and not uttering a single complaint.

"I'll stay with the lad," Oin said, climbing out of the boat and going to stand next to Kili. "My duty lies with the wounded."

And my duty lies with my friends, I thought.

I stepped out of the boat, feeling Thorin's questioning eyes on me. When he finally saw my determined look as I stood with Oin, he realized there was no convincing me otherwise; I was staying with Kili.

"Uncle," I heard Fili say. "We grew up on tales of the Mountain, tales you told us. You cannot take that away from him!"

"Fili," Kili said tiredly to his brother, urging him to stop.