Chapter 14 - "Whatcha need Chi-Chi?"

The clacking of keys, the creaking of chairs, and the faint smell of coffee. That is how Katy would discribe the offices to a newbie, simple and straightforward. In her mind though, the discription would differ.

To her, the offices were the place were she lost everything, twice. Once when they told her and her Mom that her father was MIA, and once when....

Katy physically shakes herself out of her head just as the elevator dings, signifying that she had made it to 3rd floor. One thing about the offices that Katy dislikes is that there are no stairs, anywhere.

As she steps off and starts making her way toward the door at the end of the hall, a handful of newer workers stare at her.

She ignores the looks and the unasked questions that they are weighed down by. In order to keep from thinking about the past, she focuses on thinking about why the "looks" don't bother her any more.

Being 17 and a Sergeant had never happened until her, the previous youngest ever was 24. To say that she was proud of her achievement would be an understatement, after all, she worked much harder than all the adults that she was surrounded by.

The door was getting bigger as she got closer and her nerves were starting to fray.

"Katy! Katy! Over here!"

She sighs in relief as the ball of nerves in her stomach disappears, and she turns toward the voice.

The young man, good looking and in his early 20s, is a good friend of Katy. In fact, he is the only person who knows everything about her, past and present.

"Whatcha need Chi-Chi?"

Chi-Chi grins at the use of his nickname, cause he rarely hears it from his coworkers.

"Well, I have a few files I could use your analytical brain to break down so that us meer mortals can have a chance to figure it out."

"So you want me to do your work for you?"

"Pretty much. But, as always, I will give you a warm donut for your troubles."

Katy gasps dramaticly and press' a hand to her chest, "Such a kind offer of food shall be remembered forever, my young squire."

And as quick as the Flash, she reaches over and snatches the last of his donut.

"And it shall be suitable for this transaction."

Chi-Chi just sighs at the loss of his donut and picks up his coffee. As he drinks, he looks at her with eyebrows raised.

She notices and rolls her eyes, "Yes, yes. Just drop them off like normal, I'll see to them by tonight."

Chi-Chi nods, "Alright then, I should let you go then, seeing at their probably getting quite impatient."

Katy sticks her tongue out at him before hurrying towards the door at the end of the hall. Chi-Chi was right, they were probably getting impatient and she wanted to get over and done with.

The room behind the door was a meeting room. Like the ones you see on TV when all the bad guys get together for a meeting that goes drasticly wrong. The twelve men sitting in their designated spots are all the people who judge her ability to be a Sergeant by the way her men act. She represses the urge to roll her eyes at the array of idiots.

The room had fallen silent when she opened the door, so Katy walks to her seat and looks each of them in the eyes evenly until they all look away.

"Now that every one is here, we can begin. I believe that every one knows why we are here except Maze because Dilon is forgetful."

Katy chokes on her sip of coffee, startling everyone as she coughs loudly.

She waves a hand in front of her face, a signal to not mind her. The guy who was talking clears his throat and complies.

"We received a message from the President that his daughters high school was threatened by the Nightshade Gang."

The guy stops as whispers start up at the name. Many of the men glance toward Katy as they whisper to the person next to them. Katy watches with amusement at the men, almost like a cat playing with a mouse. With a smile on her lips, she clears her throat loudly.

"If you wouldn't mind stopping your gossiping, ladies, I would like to hear where I come into the plan."

Though her voice is soft and kind, there's an undertone of warning. Someone can only pick it up if they've know Katy for a while. The room falls quiet again, Kathy's smile widens and she motions for the brief to continue.

"As I was saying, we need to address this threat as soon as possible due to the fact that so many other countries have children of politicians and rulers going there."

He clicks to a slide showing the school's front.

"This is the school in question for those who haven't been there yet."

Two of the newer members lean closer to the screen to get a better view. One raises his hand.

"Yes?"

"With the amount of glass at the front of the school, how are you suggesting we keep the student safe when there are so many entry point?"

Katy rolls her eyes, annoyed, "The glass if fortified with Xintgal. Pronounced Zin-teh-gal for first timers such as yourselves."

"Xintgal....that sounds like something from a si-fi movie."

Katy sighs, her annoyance turning to frustration, "Well it's not. With ten layers, each as thick as one hair, it withstand up to 17 RPG's at the same time, hand grenades, and a shit ton of bullets."

The two are stunned into silence, their brains trying to process what she just said. The older men, who were there when they found the crystal, were amused by the scene. The guy at the front, however, was not amused by any stretch of the imagination.

"Can I continue?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Hello my lovely humans. After a week of doing nothing, I got up off my butt and did some writing. (smacks forehead) Well, duh, cause otherwise I wouldn't be saying that. Have a good rest of your week!

Why was 2019 afraid of 2020?

Because they had a fight and 2021.