Chapter 1: A Trainers Bond

Goro

Don't let me hold you back.

The last words Goro had heard before he'd left his father, for, what would probably be the last time.

Don't let me hold you back.

So self-demeaning, but Goro would hate to admit he needed to hear it.

I won't live much longer Goro. Don't let me hold you back.

Goro Zimmaro had always wanted to be a Pokémon trainer, but he had to look after his father Kisho, who had just told him to follow his dreams, though it meant leaving him, most likely for dead.

The Zimmaro's lived in a rural area, with nobody around, meaning that Goro couldn't tell anyone to take care of his father, which is why he'd never considered leaving, until now.

But he had no choice really, his father wouldn't want Goro to see him at his weakest, and Goro wasn't emotionally strong enough to keep his father's spirits up.

Goro had left with nothing to his name, but a bag he'd had backed since he was 10, it had a bottle, a sleeping bag, a toothbrush, a few tubes of toothpaste, a spile, and of course, most importantly, a single Pokéball. It had belonged to his father, when he was an aspiring trainer.

Kisho had fought in many battles with his starter Pokémon, but hadn't won any, he couldn't catch a single Pokémon or teach his Pokémon a single move, but now that Pokémon was in Goro's hands, it had been inside the Pokéball for decades now, who knew if it could remember how to walk, let alone battle.

It had been hours since Goro had left home, it was getting dark, he needed to rest, and he needed to release the Pokémon, it had been inside that Pokéball for far too long.

Since Goro's father had come from Paldea, he wouldn't get a regular Kanto starter, but a Paldea starter. Goro didn't know any Paldea starters, or any Paldea Pokémon, or any Pokémon for that matter. His knowledge didn't go far past Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander. Though he knew Charmander evolved into Charizard, and was pretty sure Squirtle evolved into Lapras.

Goro grabbed the Pokéball and released the Pokémon inside. Before him stood a small, feathery white creature, with a stubby beak and bouncy blue hair. "What are you?" Goro asked, as he lacked a Pokédex to scan the creature.

"Qua-Quax!" It replied "Quaxly!"

"Quaxly? You must be pretty hungry right Quaxly?"

"Quaxly!" The Pokémon agreed, though it barely had the energy to talk.

Goro scratched his head "I could use a bite to eat as well, but the nearest Pokémon Centre is, well I don't know- Quaxly what're you doing?" Goro was cut off to see Quaxly munching on the leaves of a tree.

"Quax?" The Pokémon was confused

"Are you supposed to be eating that?"

"Quaxly Quax" Goro didn't understand what Quaxly had said, but figured it's better if Quaxly arrived at the Pokémon Centre ill than if it arrived dead. Speaking of which, it was only then that Goro spotted a hive on the tree Quaxly was eating from, Beedrill!

"Quaxly get in your Pokéball" Goro spoke calmly, so he didn't provoke the Beedrill.

"Quax!" Quaxly refused, understandably, he wouldn't want to be in there for another decade or so.

"Quaxly return!" Goro shot a beam from the Pokéball, but Quaxly dodged it, knocking into the tree beside, not knowing that it'd just caused a disaster.

The faint humming of the Beedrill became more and more apparent, until in a matter of seconds, they had spotted their target.

"Quaxly!" Goro yelled in fear, as he lurched forward and scooped the Pokémon into his arms. With the knowledge that he had to run, Goro could do nothing but stare as the Beedrill began to gather, both a frightening a beautiful sight.