07. what happened between us?

"...north pole, give me some sign to let me know
'cause I think that I'm falling like a snow"

Nina and Richard finished singing. He played the last chords on the guitar and she played the piano. The song was almost finished, as they had already been working on it for a week.

"I think it was good." the boy half smiled.

She nodded still looking at the musical instrument in front of her. "Yes, a few things still need to be improved, but otherwise it's good."

"Always a perfectionist." Ricky laughed at the memories that just entered his head.

"You say it like it's a bad thing." she shook her head with a small smile.

"Which it is definitely not."

"Why do I hear sarcasm in that?" she raised an eyebrow as she heard his laugh.

For a moment she forgot everything around them. It was like traveling back in time when there were no disagreements and misunderstandings and betrayals between them. Just him and her, laughing, enjoying the moments together.

She was afraid that this would happen. That if she spends too much time with him, she will start to forget how he hurt her and let her guard down and be disappointed in him again. That she will end up hurt.

She swore to herself that it wouldn't happen again... but it's happening right now, because when she's with Ricky, she forgets everything around her. She can't help but a small part of her will forever feel good in the presence of this curly boy.

"No, no, no... no sarcasm I promise." he shook his head laughing.

The boy loved these moments. He always thought of the brunette as his best friend. She was already angry with him once, but that time, according to him, she at least had a reasonable excuse for it, because it is true that it was his fault then. He was the one who didn't answer her phone and didn't reply to her messages. Ricky was glad she forgave him.

But now they were arguing again and he really had no idea why. He didn't know if he did something wrong. He did called her, he texted, he already wanted to order plane tickets so that he could visit her in Salt Lake City, but she suddenly texted him that it was over and he shouldn't bother her anymore.

Two years have passed since then and both have moved on with their lives. But, a small part of him was still there, in the past, wondering why it ended the way it did.

"I'm so glad that we can talk normally again without arguing." Ricky said.

That one sentence brought the girl back to reality. Suddenly she remembered everything....

the relationship with Ricky, the day she first came to LA, the kiss, Theo, Lily, the christmas song

...everything

"Well, don't get too used to it." she told him, breaking eye contact and standing up.

"What?" it shocked the boy. "Wait what happened? Why are you suddenly acting like you hate me again?"

"Maybe because I do hate you!" she shouted in anger without even thinking about it.

"Wow," Ricky sighed. "you hate me now? I mean, yes we broke up and stuff but hate? Don't you think you're exaggerating?"

"I am exaggerating?" the brunette pointed a finger at herself in frustration. "How did you say it? We broke up and stuff? You are kidding right? You know how it ended between us and you say this?"

"No that's the thing!" he shouted. "I don't know what happened!"

There was silence for a moment. All the bad memories from two years ago came back to Nina, but she wanted to forget it, put it behind her and never come back to it.

"I don't want to talk about this." she said in a calmer voice and turned towards the door. She wanted to leave but the curly-haired boy wasn't done with the conversation yet.

"No wait!" he grabbed her wrist and stopped her. She became nervous when he touched her. "Seriously what happened? Tell me because I really have no idea." he shrugged. "We were good. We were so happy together. Yes, we were each in a different place, but it worked for us. We called each other every day and then all of a sudden you stopped calling, you didn't pick up my calls. And then I learned from social media that you signed a contract with a record company and that you will be recording an album? You were my girlfriend and you didn't tell me?"

The girl had tears in her eyes remembering all that.

"But I was so happy for you that I didn't care. I called you all the time and you just texted me one day saying it's over and I'm not supposed to call anymore? Like what the hell?! Did fame change you even before you became famous?"

"How can you say such a thing?" she interrupted his monologue when she heard that last question.

"I don't know. I don't know anything. I don't have any answers." he shook his head in frustration.

"You know what? I am seriously impressed with your talent to make me the bad guy." she told him angrily, wiping away her tears. "How can you stand here and tell this version of the story as if it really happened like this?"

"But that is how it happened!" Ricky interrupted her with his shout. "This is exactly how it happened! Nothing more! And if something else happened, I don't know about it because you never told me!"

Nina sighed trying to calm down. "Look... just a few more weeks of cooperation. Can't we just stop talking about it and forget it?" she asked, tears running down her cheeks. "After the christmas party we never have to see each other again and everything will be fine."

"Is that what you want?" he told her sadly. "Because I can't just let you go. I can't forget. Not without some kind of closure."

"What closure are you talking about?"

"What happened between us? Why did we really break up?" he asked her, grabbing her hand again.

The brunette felt shivers as his hand touched hers. She thought for a few seconds...

Is he kidding? How can he not know what went wrong between them?

...these questions were in her mind. Finally she took a deep breath and-

"You kissed her...."

...

today's chapter is a bit longer, so I hope you like it

love you guys, Sof