Kabanata 06

Veric

Parties and balls were more annoying than kids and their temper tantrums. At least the latter I could actually avoid; iwanan mo lang yung bata sa kwarto niya ng mag-isa hanggang sa tumahimik 'to kakahanap sa nanay niya. The former, on the other hand, I was actually required to attend or I might lose a crucial investment.

I'd been dreading this night since I'd been invited a couple of months prior. Honestly, I could just drop everything off and drink myself till dusk in my wine cellar--my usual kind of temporary remission from responsibilities.

But meetings, private negotiations, and even parties in their golds and glitters, were all part of the game I'd grown and trained into.

Just play your part, I'd always tell myself. Think about the money and what comes out of it.

Besides, the party I was attending to was both beneficial and significant in building connections within the largest industry in the world--the media.

The mafia needed more influence. And I intend to have it one way or another.

Tonight, I'd be making deal with the CEO of the country's leading entertainment and media conglomerate. Of course, I needed to show face as a gesture of support and good deed in front of Hector Alman. Then, we'd go to a private room and discuss what needed to be negotiated.

The charity ball would be held in the reserved National Museum of Archeology. It was going to be a foundational gathering to help earn funds for the preservation of national treasures and artifacts in the Philippines. I didn't know Hector Alman was fond of the histories, but anything that could make him agree to my business deal, and the night would be worth it.

Aside from my strong dislike of gatherings, the other problem I had was the kid. Walang magbabantay sa kanya. Hexon was overseeing our operations in the pier this evening and I had no one to actually call in to take his place. Astriel could be handy but he was on his off, and he deserved the brief respite for excellently getting his assignment done for me.

I pulled out my phone and dialed Abby's number which I'd saved.

"Hel-lo? Sino 'to?" she sounded groggy, as if I'd just awaken her. I looked at the time on my watch and found it was only six-thirty. It was the weekends. That explained why my student nanny was taking a power nap to make up for insufficient sleeps during the weekdays wherein she was juggling two duties all at once: her studies and the kid.

"Kailangan kitang hiramin ngayong gabi," sabi ko sa kanya.

"Pero Sabado ngayon," she whined.

"So?" angil ko naman. "Is there an issue if I'm calling in right now for you?"

"No, it's just that..." Narinig ko siyang nagbuntong-hininga. "Never mind. I'll be there in an hour."

"Don't bother. I'll pick you up," I told her. "And Abby, dress something nice."

I hung up, ignoring the fact that what I was asking out of Abby tonight was clearly not what we had agreed to on the contract. In-house lang yung naging usapan namin na magiging trabaho niya at nasa kontrata 'to. Walang nakalagay doon na kailangan niyang mag-alaga sa labas ng perimeter ng mansyon dahil hindi naman siya alalay. Ayaw ko naman na iwan silang dalawa sa bahay dahil parang mas mag-aalala lang ako.

But Abby agreed, nonetheless. Which was a great sign that I'd made the best decision to choose her to take care of the current bane of my existence.

*****

I put Abby's address on the GPS of my phone and just followed the directions indicated by the voice navigator. In the passenger seat, the kid was silently watching something on his new iPad I'd just bought for him earlier when I'd stopped by at an electronic store. Better to have something to keep him distracted.