Chapter 7

KALISTA

Sunshine drips like heavenly nectar from a topaz sky. It kisses the velvet rose petals and lures them from their tight buds. Carefully, so that I am not bitten by the thorns, I tie a shoot against the trellis. It stubbornly folds back, and I fasten a second string to it.

"My lady. My lady."

I turn to see an envelope madly flying down the pebble pathway. It is Pierre.

"My lady, he-he..." Pierre pants excitedly.

"It's alright, take a moment to catch your breath," I say, pulling my gloves off.

"Yes, yes, it's more than alright. Look." He brandishes the envelope. "It's a note for you."

I take the envelope and curiously unfold it.

I would be pleased if you joined me for a ride this afternoon.

First, I smile, but then my lips pucker together. He did not ask me, he merely stated it and it wasn't really the proper way to do it either. Ah well, I should not expect more from a common soldier.

"You may tell him that I accept and that I will meet him after luncheon," I announce, returning the note to Pierre.

"Yes, my lady. I will. Oh, I will."

If he was not invisible, I am sure I would see him grinning from ear to ear. I only faintly remember Pierre's smile, though; it has been so long since I have seen it.

Arawn and I spend the afternoon riding about the meadow and the edge of the forest. He has finished the novel I gave him and so our conversation is full and interesting. Every word is sweet honey to me. It is surreal and exhilarating and exciting and when I arrive at my room to change for supper, I am nearly bursting with joy as I relay my day to Beedy. To say the least, she is absolutely thrilled at this news and puts extra care into choosing my gown and arranging my hair.

For a second time, he brings me a rose and before I go to bed, I tuck it in the crystal vase beside the other bloom.

For two days, I receive similar notes from Arawn. In the morning we occupy ourselves separately, then we ride together in the afternoon, and in the evening we dine together. It makes me feel as light as a cloud and I often find myself daydreaming and drifting off into a sunset. Despite the time we spend together, I discover very little about my guest. He tells me some of his personal interests and preferences, but I hear little of his family or what his life was like before he set foot into the forest.

For the time being, however, his curiosity seems to have been abated for he asks me few questions about magic and my abode. I find this rather strange because I know he has questions. Yet, I brush it away—he will learn of these things soon enough. As a result of his lack of inquiries but his interest in reading, I resolve to allow him access to the library. It is a gift I think he will appreciate more than any others I can grant him.

On the third day, he requests that we walk in the garden instead of go riding. I send my acceptance with Pierre and decide that once we have exhausted the gardens, I will take him to the library.

I am first to arrive in the atrium and I find myself excitedly pacing back and forth across the marble floor. Will he be respectful of my beloved library? Perhaps it is too risky. No, it must be done. We cannot remain in this awkward, half hopeful, half fearful place forever.

ARAWN

My feet thud softly over the plush carpet staircase. They draw me nearer and nearer to the beast. This is it. I have struggled for three days to hide what is true in order to gain her trust. And to my surprise, I was successful. I thought that someone as old and powerful as the beast would possess a greater amount of caution; however, like a naïve fawn, she fell directly into my trap.