Chapter 20

KALISTA

At noon, Arawn and I meet again on the front lawn to review our plan. How can we outsmart the sorceress? We ask ourselves this question as we turn about, searching the grounds for something we can utilize. But magic is our greatest resource so inevitably, we turn to it. It takes some practice to perfect the spell and I fear that I will not be able to hold it all night, but Arawn assures me that it won't have to remain for long—only till a wolf is inside. We also drag the cage to another window. Perhaps it will not be so obvious then?

Once we are satisfied with the adjustments to our plan, we wander to the music room. Arawn's shoulder is now healed enough that he can pick up his violin and we spend a long while playing together. It eases the tension that twists through us and threatens to choke our courage and hope. When we descend to the dining room, we go with lighter steps and lighter hearts.

We quickly gather some food to take with us, then head to the morning room where we have set up our post. I cannot help but notice that the banquet seems smaller today; like someone forgot to bring in a pan of soup or a bowl of salad. I do not mention it, though. We already know that the palace is fading, no need for reminders.

The sun casts long shadows throughout the gardens as we open the cage door and set the hinge plate. I then reach into my pocket, withdraw a handful of rose petals, and scatter them across the bottom of the cage.

"Invisible," I whisper and little purple sparks race through the air. They encircle the posts and bars of the cage which become invisible with each caress of magic. For a moment, the magic spins about, outlining the cage; then, it plummets downwards and is soaked up by the rose petals which glow briefly then fade to their usual pink colour.

Arawn watches this display with fascination dancing across his features. When the light in the last petal has dimmed, he says, "It's beautiful. If only people would not consider it so negatively."

"They can't help it. When sorceresses like Galinda use magic for evil, people see it as a wicked thing."

"Are there more that have magic beside you and her?"

I sit on a tapestry chair beside the table we have laid the food. "Yes, there are many. Some realize it and keep it secret, some display it at circuses and fairs, and some mistake it for talent in certain areas like singing or painting or healing. When someone possesses only a grain of magic, the lines between magic and talent become blurry."

"Could you distinguish these people with magic?"

"I think so. I could when I was younger, but I have not tried in a very long time." I pluck a grape from a bowl of fruit, but as I bring it toward my face, I see that the center is brown; it is not just the brandy that has depleted, the other food has or is in the process. My appetite flees and I quickly replace the grape and move to the window.

Arawn joins me and we watch as the last rays of the sun drip from the landscape. As if they had been waiting for this, the wolves step from the forest.

"That's my cue," Arawn says, opening the window and swinging a leg over the sill.

I grab his arm, "Are you sure? Maybe I should be bait."

He grins at me. "Stop worrying over me, I'll be fine. Besides, you need to watch the illusion."

"But your..."

"My arm is fine. See." He raises it above his head and rolls his shoulder. "Don't worry, Kalista." He takes my hand and brings it to his lips. He then slips off the sill and jumps to the ground.

I am glad it is dark because my cheeks become hot and I am sure they are flushed red.

The wolves slowly approach, slipping across the meadow like wraiths. Their eyes glitter like poisonous gemstones and their teeth gleam like knives. I want to drag Arawn back inside, close the windows tightly, and forget that this has to happen. But I cannot do that; I will not do that.