Chapter 31

KALISTA

Tap. Tap. Tap.

My fingers absently thrum a rhythm against the leather armchair. The armchair that Arawn used to sit in.

"Oh, stop being a baby," I growl and sweep across the library to the window. The forest is black in the setting sun and the jagged tops of the trees remind me of a wolf's teeth. At least Arawn is far from here now. The enchantment that I laid on the forest pushed him outwards and did not allow him to draw nearer to me. He must be past the border by now, and when night falls, I will drop the spell—he is not foolish enough to risk travelling the forest at night.

Sighing, I turn my back to the window and pick my way through the crumbling palace to the remains of my room. They will be here soon, and I might as well dress for the occasion.

I choose a black gown with fitted lace sleeves and a full skirt that spills about me like a midnight waterfall. With two jewelled clips, I pull back the front pieces of my hair, but the rest I leave hanging down my back in a tangle of black curls. There are no mirrors so I cannot see my appearance, but I would wager that my attire paired with my hollow expression causes me to appear more like a beast than I ever have.

Tucking my shaking fingers between the folds of my dress, I slowly walk toward the staircase. Their presence has now become more than simply a feeling, for I can hear the pounding of hoof beats on the pebble drive.

If only I could go back. Back to the day when it was only one pair of hoof beats and only one heart that burned with hate. But a piece of me also wishes that it was all over. I am tired of fighting, tired of being Galinda's bird in a gilded cage.

The hoof beats come to a halt and I position myself at the top of the stairs. Remember to breathe. In. Out. In. Out. They are only humans. I have magic on my side.

A huge crash causes the great doors to shudder and swing open. I notice the leader first. He is a beast of a man with a fiery expression. But that is not what frightens me. In one hand he holds a sword and in the other, the mirror.

Arawn.

Where is Arawn?

I know that he would never give it to them so they must have taken it by force. And despite the fear, searing anger blazes within me. I will fight them, and I will find a way to return the mirror to Arawn.

"Come out, Beast. Show yourself."

At the leader's shout, I realize that I have been standing in the shadows. So stiffening my spine, I step forward. A few of the men step backward at my appearance, but the leader only grins.

"Attack," he yells, and with only a breath of hesitation, the men surge forward.

My magic is more than happy to respond to this, and a huge gust sweeps through the entry hall. Swords and shields are ripped from the soldiers' hands and clatter loudly against the pillars and marble floor. Strangely, the leader was only a little affected by the magic—not nearly as much as he should have been.

"Idiots!" Barks the leader who holds the mirror tightly in one hand and his sword in the other. "Put your armbands on."

Some of the men reach into their pockets and pull out strips of black cloth. I can smell her magic on them like a pungent odour. In response, I hurriedly pull more magic forward and another blast knocks a few soldiers off of their feet. Yet, there are others who are hardly affected by my magic. Galinda's spell prevents me from directly touching the men with my magic, so I must use another tactic to battle them. She must think me daft to believe that her petty protection spell will deter me.