Volume I: XVII

I awoke to a small tapping on the door. I kept my eyes closed as I was perfectly content in Ominis' arms. Our legs were intertwined, and his arm rested across my chest.

The rapping grew louder. I opened my eyes and turned to Ominis. He looked perfect sleeping there. Small snores escaped him as I silently moved out of his embrace and stood up. I took one of the few blankets from the bed and wrapped it around me like a makeshift dress.

I made my way over to the door but stopped in my tracks. The door creaked slightly and fell through the opening. It made a loud thud on the ground that roused Ominis from sleep.

Ominis thankfully kept the blanket around his hips as he got out of bed.

The dust and smoke from the door smashing finally settled. A small figure appeared in the doorway. It was not short enough to be a goblin. A silhouette developed slowly.

It was Anne.

She stepped inside her old home. She drew her wand casually and performed the mending charm, "Reparo." When the door made its way back to its original form, she turned to us.

Her voice was spiteful, "And what in Merlin's name is going on here?" Her eyes looked from me to Ominis multiple times.

Ominis' eyes widened and he stuttered, "I br-brought her here upon Sebastian's request." I had never seen him intimidated by someone before. My brows raised at him.

Anne's eyes narrowed. She walked up to Ominis and put her face centimeters away from his and accusingly said, "You think my brother would want you here? After what you and her were doing in his bed? I am not a fool, Ominis." She seemed appalled.

She hastily turned to me and spat, "And you? You are the most foul. You lied with my Sebastian and then turned around and did the same with his best friend in my brother's bed? You disgust me," she emphasized the last sentence. Anne placed her hand against her stomach as if she were in pain.

I drew my wand but spoke calmly, "Sebastian is in Azkaban as far as we know, and he has been manipulating me from there to save you." I did not want to hurt her. I knew she was just upset.

I continued, "And you know what? Ominis and I found the way to cure you. I am still willing to do it after all you just said to me." I kept my chin high. It seemed Sebastian's impulsivity was a family trait.

Anne was doubled over in pain. She peered up, and her eyes met mine. It was like I was looking at Sebastian once again. I blinked slowly, imagining him here instead as my eyes were closed.

I opened them reluctantly to see Anne pulling me in for an embrace. Her body was cold, and her hair against my face felt brittle. She really was withering away.

Anne burst into tears. I held her as she cried. It was moments like these where I wished Ominis could see, so he could have been entertained by the confused look on my face.

She wiped away the tears with the sleeve of her blouse. "I didn't know you two found the cure." Her voice was soft and quiet now.

She admitted, "I had been following you both since that day in Hogsmeade. I didn't understand why Ominis was spending so much time with you. I heard everything up in the attic at the Three Broomsticks, but I had to keep myself farther away when I tracked you here." She looked down at her shoes and crossed her hands behind her back. She almost appeared shy in that moment.

Ominis spoke up, "Why would you not just announce yourself? You and Sebastian have a certain affinity for making every situation as complex as possible. We are not fortune tellers, you know?" Ominis seemed exasperated. Poor fellow.

I had no time for arguments or games. We needed to complete this task now.

I turned to Anne. "Are you ready?" I asked as I moved closer to her with my wand.

She shrugged and appeared almost apathetic, "We've tried everything at this point. I'm as ready as I'll ever be." She closed her eyes tightly and braced herself.

I grabbed her shoulder with one arm for support, just in case. I lifted my wand to her core. I grounded myself and held my wand steady. I channeled my ancient magic and could then feel the power entering my wand.

Anne's body shook, almost as if she were convulsing. She screamed and fell to the floor. I was grateful that the trail of magic had stopped, and I lowered my wand.

Ominis knelt beside her and rubbed her back gently. There was no time for envy in that moment, but I damned sure felt it. I rolled my eyes and sat down next to her.

"How do you feel?" I asked tentatively.

Anne's eyes flickered. The color had returned to her face. Her mouth was pink, and her lashes looked fuller. Her hair on top of her head appeared shiny. She did not seem frail any longer. She looked up at us and smiled as she said, "I am free."