Chapter Two

27 March, 2020

Co. Wicklow, Ireland

Positive COVID-19 Cases: 2,121

Deaths: 22

"Joining us this morning is American author Cassandra Adler," the news anchor said as the TV screen split in half. Cassandra's face filled the other half. "Cassandra, lovely to have you this morning, have you been well?"

She nodded and smiled. "Hello! Yes, I've been well. Its been a bit of an adjustment for us, but we're doing alright."

Andrew sipped his tea as he settled deeper into the cobalt sofa in his front room. The sun was fighting a dense layer of cloud cover outside.

"You just moved to Dublin, didn't you?" the interviewer asked. "How are you finding it?"

Cassandra nodded. "We did, yes. My son and I have really been enjoying it. And we hope to get out and see more of it very soon."

"That's fantastic. Now, your latest book We Are All Born Dying has just come out and its getting rave reviews. Could you give us a quick summary of what it is about?" the anchor asked. 

Cassandra nodded and smiled. "Yeah! At its heart its a story about love and connection. It follows a young man who works in memory care as he struggles to come to terms with his own father's diagnosis of dementia and his downhill journey. Its about love and loss and forgiveness as well as family."

"That's something we all could use right about now," the anchor replied. "Could you tell us what inspired you to write this?"

She cleared her throat. "Um, I don't know," she chuckled. "It sort of came to me and I went with it. I found it really interesting to explore the dynamic between father and son. And I also felt like dementia isn't really something that gets a lot of attention or that we know a whole lot about. Its also a sort of love letter to every carer out there who has taken on the extra work of caring for a family member with mental or physical difficulties. I don't think they're given a lot of credit for the sacrifices they make for their loved ones and I wanted to acknowledge them a bit."

The light came in around her head from the window behind her, casting her pale blonde hair in a golden sheen. 

"That's very true. Did your experiences with your mother inform any of this piece?" the anchor asked.

Cassandra paused and Andrew could tell she was weighing her words. He tilted his head, waiting for her answer. 

"In some ways, yes. But I wasn't really caring for her that much," she responded. "My dad certainly did the bulk of it and I can remember seeing the effect it had on him."

"And how is your family faring so far? They're in the USA, right?" 

"Yes. They're doing alright so far, I think. Everyone's healthy and staying home," she answered with a winning smile. "We're very lucky."

"That's good news," the anchor smiled. "I know you've only just released a book, but do you have any others in the works after this?"

She nodded. "I'm always writing," she chuckled. "But having a toddler is an awfully big distraction these days. Fortunately its a distraction I love to have."

"Now, I've been told you are doing an auction of some of your works to raise money for some charities? Could you tell us a bit more about that?" the interviewer asked with a chuckle.

"Absolutely," Cassandra replied. "I'm auctioning off several signed copies of my books and a first draft of Here There Be Dragons, my first novel. All proceeds will go to the Alzheimer Society of Ireland to benefit dementia patients who aren't getting the services they need as easily right now."