Chapter 10

Once I arrived on the street where the parade would be I saw Richie playing with some guy's tuba and the rest of the Losers standing in an alleyway. Guess they hadn't got to the park yet. 

"Hey guys," I said as I walked over to them. Eddie wasn't there. Wonder where he was. 

"Hey Baylee," Ben said. 

"So what's up, why did I need to come here?" I asked. 

"What the fuck dude?" Richie asked when the guys took his tuba back from Richie. I chuckled. 

"What are you guys talking about?" Eddie asked as he walked over to us with 2 ice cream cones in his hands. Ah, so that's where he went. 

"What they always talk about," Riche said as he grabbed one of the ice cream cones from Eddie.

 "I actually think it will end," Ben said. Oh, they were talking about the missing kids. "For a little while at least,". 

"What do you mean?" Beverly asked. 

"So I was going through all my derry research and I charted out all the big events, the ironwork explosion in 1908, the Bradley gang in '35, and the blackspot in '62 and now kids being...I realized this stuff seems to happen-". Ben spoke.

"Every 27 years," Ben and Bill said at the same time.  We started our walk to the park in silence then sat down on a bench in front of the stage where they were setting up for the parade.

"Ok so let me get this straight, it comes out from wherever to eat kids for, like, a year, and then what, it just goes into hibernation?" Riche asked. 

"Maybe it's like, what do you call it, cicadas? You know, like the bugs that come out every 17 years" Stan said. I gave him a weird look. 

"Cicadas? really?" I asked. Stan shrugged. 

"My grandfather says this town is cursed, he says that all the bad things that happen in this town are because of one thing, an evil thing that feeds off the people of Derry," Mike said. 

"But it can't be one thing, we all saw something different," Stan said.

 "Maybe or maybe it knows what scares us most and that's what we see," Mike said. Holy shit. He was right. We all see different things that scare us. 

"I-I saw a leper he was- he was like a walking infection," Eddie said. 

"But you didn't because it isn't real, none of this is, not Eddie's leper, or Bill seeing Georgie or the woman I keep seeing," Stan said.

"She hot?" Riche said.

"Not the time Rich" I shook my head trying to hide my laugh.

"No, Riche she's not hot! Her face is all messed up, and none of this makes any sense they're all like bad dreams," Stan said. 

"I don't think so, I know the difference between a bad dream and real life, ok?" Mike said.

 "What'd you see? You saw something too?" Eddie asked. 

"Yes, you guys know that burnt-down house on Harris Avenue? I was inside when it burned down... before I was rescued my Mom and Dad were trapped in the next room over from me, they were pushing and pounding on the door trying to get to me, but it was too hot when the firemen finally found them, the skin on their hands and melted down to the bone, we're all afraid of something" Mike said. Oh shit. That's gross. 

"Got that right," Riche said looking at the stage. Where clowns and other people dressed up and practiced their performance for the parade. 

"Why Rich? What are you scared of?" Eddie asked.