a date

amara haven

I wake up decently early in a better mood than I've been in since the fight with Nic.

I'm ready to suggest AA to my parents.

I'm sure my dad will just be happy to hear me willing to try, my mum though... well, she'll be harder to convince.

The smell of Dad's famous Sunday morning breakfast fills my room when I cross the hallway.

I flick the bathroom light on and take my hair out of its low pony to brush.

Once I manage to tame it to my liking, I go back to my bedroom to change my shorts out for sweatpants.

"Girls, breakfast," Dad calls up the stairs.

"Coming!" I yell.

I walk into the hallway at the same time as Valeria, we make eye contact and she goes to run.

I catch her by the waist and she shrieks.

"Not so fast, little one," I pick her up sideways and she screams with laughter again.

"Put me down!" She shouts.

"Say the magic word," I say.

"Please?" She questions.

"Wrong!" I exclaim.

She manages to wriggle free and we race down the stairs, almost bumping into our dad from our shenanigans.

"Well, good to see you two playing," Dad smiles, "Who's hungry, and where's Kinsley?"

"Here," she mutters, walking down the stairs. Her hair is a mess and there's bags under her eyes.

"Jesus, what happened to you?" I ask before realising what I said.

"Math happened," she snaps.

I hold back a laugh, "Math?"

"Yes, I just can't seem to grasp the stupid lesson we're working on," she sighs.

"Let me help," I shrug.

"Okie dokie, breakfast is ready," Dad says.

We all take seats at the table and wait for him to serve us.

"Why did you come home so late?" Kinsley asks.

"I ended up hanging out with a couple of my friends," I shrug.

"That's nice," Dad offers a grin. "Which friends?"

"Uh, Chase, Jake, Luke, Brooke, Alyssa and Leah," I reply.

"Oh, that's a good group," he nods, placing plates of french toast and fruit in front of us.

"Where's Mummy?" Valeria asks.

"She's resting," Dad replies. "She has a headache."

Code for she drank last night and is hungover.

"Amara, Val how about we take Patronus for a walk?" Dad suggets, "To that park you like Val."

Valeria nods agressively with excitement.

"Kinsley, you don't want to come right?" Dad asks and she shakes her head.

"I have other things to do," she says.

"Like math?" I tease.

She glares in my direction and I offer a smile.

"Well, Am, sound good?" Dad questions.

I nod, "Yeah, that's sounds nice."

We chat through breakfast, mostly about school and friends.