AA

amara haven

"God, I can't believe that happened," My face falls into my hands, Leah offers me a sympathetic smile.

"I mean, it doesn't matter this much, Am," she consoles, taking my hand.

"I know," I sigh.

"Look at you, you're finally exploring your options," she giggles, quoting herself.

I roll my eyes, "Whatever, it doesn't feel right."

"Mm, how come?" She asks.

"I don't know, it's like- well, I like Chase but I don't feel right with him," I facepalm again, embarrassed by my words.

"Why?" She questions, "He's nice, and he really likes you."

I take a deep breath, knowing how she'll react if I tell her the truth.

"It's about Nic, isn't it?" She sighs.

I nod, "I know, I know. He doesn't like me that way and we aren't friends anymore and-"

"It's not just that, Amara," I can feel her gaze on my face, "He destroyed you. He brought you down with him and then he left you to deal with it alone."

"I know," I feel my eyes stinging with tears, "But-"

"No, no buts," she interjects. "Will you give Chase more of a chance? Please?"

"You don't get it, Leah," I sigh.

"No, I don't. But neither do you," she takes my hand again, squeezing gently. "When was the last time you remember shamelessly drinking?"

I pause to think, realising what she's getting at. I drank a bit last night but not enough to truly affect me. And anyways, spending the day with Leah is like drinking a cup of coffee every two minutes.

"Not for a while, hey?" She says, "You need to let him go, as hard as it is."

I nod, a single tear falls down my cheek, "You're right."

"Love you," she squeezes my hand again.

"Love you," I roll my eyes, hating that she's right.

"Oh shit," she mutters as she sees the clock.

"What?" I ask, shifting my eyes to her nightstand.

"The boys said 7," she laughs.

"Oh shit," I giggle. "Okay, loser, get ready."

She moves swiftly to get changed and then do her hair and makeup in the bathroom.

I check that my outfit looks okay, a striped crewneck with ripped pipeline jeans, fishnets and Converse.

After the party last night, we decided to spend the night together and see the boys again.

"You look good, don't worry," Leah says, putting a headband on.

My phone buzzes. "They're here," I tell her, typing a quick response.

"Okay, um," she pauses to think if she's forgotten anything. "How do I look?"

"You look cute," I answer, she has a much more preppy style than I do.

"C'mon," she grabs my hand, pulling me out of her room and downstairs to the front door.

Chase's car sits proudly on her driveway, the engine running loudly.

Jake is in the back, obviously waiting for Leah. The two of us get into the car and seemingly interrupt a conversation between them.