Chapter Nine

The walk to the desecrated church was solemn and quiet. My Mother was still seething and neither Sabrina nor my Aunt Hilda dared to provoke her. As the seemingly run down building appeared just ahead an owl hooted softly in the distance. My Mother turned addressing us, "Remember ladies we carry ourselves with aplomb and dignity. We admit our wrongs, accept our punishment, and try to put this whole sordid mess behind us. Isn't that right Sabrina?" Thunder rumbled and Sabrina looked between each of us, "Do I have a choice?" Despite my Mother's large sunglasses I could tell she had a deadpan expression. "No, not really," came her short response as she turned on her heel and headed to the church. My Aunt and cousin looked at me and I shrugged, turning to follow her as the unholy church bells rang.

"We, the profane...gather here tonight in this sacrilegious Court to serve the Dark Lord's justice. A deplorable crime has been committed against our master and savior," Father Blackwood addressed the coven members who had gathered. At the mention of our Dark Lord praises and hail satans broke out amongst the crowd. "Sabrina Spellman stands accused before The Infernal Three, guilty of breaking her promise, her pledge, to the Dark Lord." The Three then spoke in unison, "Sabrina Spellman, stand." She sat there for a moment before my Mother shoved her shoulder lightly urging her forward. I could already tell it was going to be a long night. "When the accused is confirmed guilty, not only will she abandon her mortal life immediately, but, upon her death, she shall burn for 333 years in the Pit, as his pleasure demands," Blackwood proclaimed. The crowd burst into applause and one of the Infernal Three silenced them with the bang of a gavel. Sure I was pissed at Sabrina for causing all of this when it could've been avoided completely but 333 years in the pit? Talk about overkill. This was a fear tactic. My eyes shot to my mother and she shook her head. The message was clear, I wasn't allowed to say a thing. "Accused, how plead you?" A demon ground out. "I... I...," Sabrina stuttered looking back at us for support. My mother leaned forward, mouthing 'guilty.' I sighed...way to go mom. The doors to the church flung open and a well dressed older man burst in. "She pleads not guilty." Murmurs broke out amongst the crowd as he made his way to the front of the church. "Mr. Webster," Blackwood laughed in disbelief, "You are not unknown to this court, but you are unwelcome, sir, and uninvited." That name was so familiar. Where had I seen this man before? "Untrue, sir. Where my client goes.. I follow." I rubbed my temples as I felt a headache coming on. Sabrina had really gone out and enlisted a mortal lawyer. My mother scoffed in disbelief standing to full height, "Client? Sabrina?" Here we go. Things started escalating quickly and I reached out taking my mother's hand trying to calm her. "He's my lawyer, Aunt Zelda."

The court had been called into recess and we now stood outside as my mother paced back and forth. "As if things weren't dire enough, you go and hire this mortal pettifogger behind our backs." My mother was practically spitting fire. "With all due respect, madam, I am well-versed in witch law." My mother came to stop in her tracks and hissed, "Oh, I know exactly who you are, Mr. Webster. I remember you sniffing around my brother years ago. A hanger-on, a dilettante." With that she continued pacing. It finally clicked. That's why he was so familiar. He had studied under my Uncle when he first came to Greendale. Yet another mortal he had become too close to. "Wait. You knew my father?" Sabrina questioned. "He's the reason I came to Greendale. Your Father taught me witch law, offered me comfort when there was none. He helped me out. I'd like to return the favor."
In the next hour both arguments were made however, the opposing side had seemingly won when my mother was called to the stand. No one could've anticipated that only three days after her birth both my mother and Uncle had whisked Sabrina into the Greendale woods and promised her to the Dark Lord. That certainly tipped the scales in His favor. When court had been adjourned for the night I quickly made my way up to my room needing to get away from the chaos. Even then I could hear raised voices coming from downstairs. I groaned and fell onto my bed. "Was it really that terrible?" Lilith seemingly appeared from the shadows. I kept my eyes glued to the ceiling ignoring the throbbing in my head, "It was worse. My Mother forgot to mention that her and my Uncle had in fact already signed Sabrina's name in the Book of the Beast. Then Sabrina just had to go and enlist some mortal lawyer." I felt the bed dip as she sat beside me and carded her fingers gently through my hair as she brushed it out of my face. "That little dilemma can be handled quite easily my dear." As her hand left my hair and came down to trace my jaw I felt the tension slowly leave my body and my headache subsided. "I'm not even sure whose side I'm on. I don't want Sabrina to have to spend 333 years in the pit. But all of this could've been avoided if she had just signed her name." Lilith brought my left hand up and placed a kiss on the inside of my wrist where her mark was, "Leave this all to me, darling." Realization dawned on me and I propped myself up on my elbow so I could fully look at her. "How long have you been doing that shadow trick exactly?" I questioned. Her sly smile lit a fire inside of me, "Since I've gotten here. How else am I supposed to keep an eye on everything?" I sat up fully, smirking, "So the other night in the shower?" She traced a finger delicately up my arm and studied the tattoos there. "It was me. It was the strangest thing. I could hear your thoughts as if they were my own. I saw everything you did. It drew me to you. Before I knew what was happening I was here and you certainly did not disappoint," as she finished her finger tilted my chin up as her eyes finally met mine. I reveled in her shocked expression as I moved to straddle her lap, arms wrapping around her neck as my lips met hers. I became acutely aware of her hands traveling up my thighs as her tongue darted out to meet mine in a battle for dominance. One I quickly succumbed to. I would give this woman anything. She seemed to remember I required air and pulled away but my arms locked her into place so she elected to kiss and nip along my jaw. "Lilith.." I hissed as her sharp teeth did their work. She paused, coming back to meet my dark gaze. "Say it again," She murmured. At my confused expression she clarified, "My name, darling. My true name." It hadn't occurred to me that the only two people who knew who she truly was were Father Blackwood and myself. Everyone else thought she was just some mortal spinster. I leaned down, taking her bottom lip between my teeth and pulled. "Lilith," I murmured against her lips. I gasped as her hand came to tangle itself in my long hair and pulled, exposing my throat to her. "Again," she commanded before sinking her teeth into my pulse point for the second time that night. I couldn't help the moan that escaped my lips, "Lilith!" The sharp knock that sounded at my door had me scrambling to my feet and straightening my clothes. I rushed over to the door cracking it only slightly and came face to face with my mother who had already raised her fist to knock again. "Nicole, is everything alright? What're you doing in there?"
"Just saying my prayers to the Dark Mother," I lied, which was becoming more and more frequent. I didn't have to turn around to see Lilith's self satisfied smirk. My mother looked me over suspiciously, "Right. You should get some sleep. The trial will resume tomorrow and I need you there" I nodded, "Of course. Night, Mom." I hastily shut the door and let out a sigh of relief when I heard her footsteps fade down the hall. My stomach fluttered as strong arms snaked around my waist. "I should get going as well. A Demoness' work is never done after all." Turning I pressed one final passionate kiss to Lilith's lips, "I'll see you tomorrow?" She smiled into the kiss, "Count on it, Darling." That night my dreams were filled only by her and I knew I could handle whatever was coming our way.