Chapter Twenty Two

Later that day the Kinkle's arrived to plan a funeral for their fallen son. Once the day of the wake arrived a blanket of melancholy blanketed Greendale. A twinge of guilt plagued me as I stood with my mom and Ambrose handing out obituaries to the townies who trickled in filling the mortuary to say their goodbyes. I had stared into the face of death too many times and had become seemingly numb to its aftermath. I supposed I did harbor some sympathy but I was unable to shed a tear over a mortal I had only seen in passing a handful of times. My heart sped up when I noticed Lilith enter and pull Sabrina to the side as we handed out the last few pamphlets to the stragglers walking in. I strained to hear what they were saying as Ambrose spoke, "Oh, Auntie Zee, do any mortals ever realize life while they're living it? Every fleeting precious moment?" My mother and I shared a look at his somber tone. "No," She responded, "The poets and artists, maybe. They do. Not that we're much better, mind you." I noticed a stray tear trail down her cheek as she spoke. "Mom, are you crying?" I questioned only slightly amused. Ambrose's lips twitched into an amused smile as she quickly wiped the tear away. "Pollen," she explained sniffling and rolling her eyes, "Let's get this over with." I handed Ambrose what was left of the obituaries which he neatly stacked on a nearby shelf and followed my mother into the parlor which had been rearranged for the funeral. I immediately scanned the pews searching for my demoness and when I found her my gaze darkened. Next to her on the incredibly small bench was none other than Principle Hawthorne. Of course he was there. He would take any opportunity to get close to her. Hardly the behavior for a funeral. Noticing the shift in my demeanor my mother followed my gaze. "Go," She whispered encouragingly. Without having to be told twice I glided down the aisle and slid in next to Lilith. "Ms. Wardwell," I purred, placing my hand on her shoulder, "I do hope this spot wasn't taken."  Fire danced behind her brilliant blue eyes as she shifted impossibly closer. "Why no, darling. You know there's no one else I'd rather have by my side," She drawled, placing her hand almost scandalously on my upper thigh. I thanked Satan for choosing a little black dress that seemed to more than please my demoness. Especially when I received a disgruntled glare from the man child who I stole her attention from. A shiver ran up my spine when Lilith's lips ghosted over the shell of my ear, "Thank you for the save, my dear. Perhaps I'll reward you for it later if you're good." Her cerulean eyes flickered mischievously as she pulled away, turning her attention to the memorial service that had started. Everything seemed to be running smoothly with Sabrina's friend Roz singing the opening chorus. Most likely some mortal hymn. Harvey's speech could've used work but in the end he pulled it together albeit with Sabrina's help no doubt. However things went downhill quickly when it came time for Mr. Kinkle to speak. It was no secret the man was an abusive drunk. You'd have to be ignorant not to see it. In the few times I'd dropped Sabrina off at the Kinkle's I had seen the dark aura permeating off of him and the reek of booze along with it. A dark cloud hung over the household and I was loath to leave Sabrina at such a place. But she was always insistent nothing ever happened while she was there. And there he was in our parlor having one of his violent outbursts after a heated argument broke out between him and his son. A few of the attendees looked around unsure of whether or not to interfere. As Mr. Kinkle grabbed Harvey by his shoulders to shove him back in his seat, my mother and Ambrose stepped forward to intervene but Lilith held a vice-like grip on my thigh keeping me in place. Before either of them could be reached they knocked into the coffin which had in fact been empty since none of the bodies had been recovered. It fell off its stand and a battered miner's helmet clattered to the floor as a collective gasp broke out across the room. Everyone stayed frozen as Harvey ran out of the house, Sabrina quickly recovering and trailing behind him. My mother cleared her throat, "I would like to thank everyone for coming but I think it's best if we brought this to a close."  Without so much as a 'thanks' Mr. Kinkle ran outside in search of his remaining son. "Sabrina," I murmured to Lilith. She nodded in understanding, squeezing my hand, "Let's go find her." Shooting one last glare at Hawthorne I allowed Lilith to lead me out the front door. As we descended the stairs I heard Mr. Kinkle cursing as he raised his fist to strike his son. My mom, who had already made it to the scene, raised her hand freezing him where he stood, "Mr. Kinkle! This is your son's funeral. Might we honor his memory and compose ourselves? Your guests are leaving. I suggest you do the same." When she finished she lowered her hand releasing him. He studied his hand and arm obviously confused before staggering away. Lilith and I reached Sabrina as Harvey made his escape. Lilith placed a comforting hand on Sabrina's shoulder as she watched him go, "Time, Sabrina. Give him time."
A short time later the three of us sat at Dr. Cerberus' unwinding from the events that had just unfolded. I groaned toying with the straw in the cherry coke sitting in front of me. "I can't believe you brought me here. This place makes me feel like I'm going to break out into hives," I complained. Lilith's thumb stroked my other hand that laid entertwined with hers under the table. "Yes well darling this isn't a date. Your cousin needs a break from the tragic events happening lately," Lilith chastised half heartedly, clearly amused at my distaste. I raised my eyebrow in Sabrina's direction, "And this place doesn't make you more depressed?" The corners of her mouth twitched into a barely there smile, "No, Cousin. It actually helps. So thank you, Ms. Wardwell." She smiled and nodded before sighing, "Poor, Harvey Kinkle. How will he ever survive in that house, alone, with that bulldozer of a father?" Sabrina thought for a moment before shaking her head, "He won't survive. Not without his brother, that's the truth." She sighed still deep in thought as Lilith and I waited for her to continue. "Ms. Wardwell, my father asked you to look out for me, and you have. Now I'm asking for... more. For help. And you can't mention what I'm about to say to my Aunties. You either, Nicole." My breath caught in my throat as I waited in anticipation of what she would say next. It couldn't be anything good based on the current predicament. "Well, what are you thinking?" Lilith questioned feigning innocence. I squeezed her hand in a warning which she naturally ignored. "I'm thinking. I keep thinking... Tommy's body still hasn't been found," She murmured. Lilith urged her on, "Yes?" I already knew what Sabrina was thinking without her having to say it aloud and I desperately wished Lilith wouldn't allow her to go on. "So if... he were to... come back... there would be some questions, but not many." Lilith looked at her incredulously and I glanced around to make sure no one was listening. " "Come back"?" My girlfriend whispered. Sabrina nodded slowly looking between the two of us. Lilith looked around before resting her chin on her free hand, "Are you talking about a resurrection spell?" Necromancy was the darkest of arts and not to mention incredibly dangerous. Especially when mortals were involved. "You saw Harvey, Ms. Wardwell. He needs his brother back," Sabrina reasoned. Lilith grew serious, "Necromancy is the darkest and most dangerous of the sacred magics. It's... well it's death magic." I relaxed slightly realizing Lilith would never do something as reckless as allow Sabrina to entertain this notion. "Please, Ms. Wardwell. I love him. And as Sabrina, his girlfriend, I can only do so much. As Sabrina the witch... I could... fix this. If I- If we have the power to ease his suffering, why shouldn't I use it?" I finally piped in, "I could name about a dozen reasons off the top of my head." Lilith seemed to still be pondering what she said, "Well, for a start, there are rules. And it's a treacherous business. Life. Death. The...afterlife. These are not things to be trifled with." Sabrina crinkled her nose in confusion, "Why? Is it that complicated?" At that Lilith perked up slightly, "Well, no, actually. The incantation I have is really quite simple and yields great results." At her remark I cut my eyes at Lilith wrenching my hand from her grasp. She was teetering on dangerous ground and my patience was wearing thin. She took notice of my reaction and she grew serious once again, "But you can't. I beg you." Sabrina raised her eyebrow, "Wait, you have this incantation?" Lilith nodded, "Somewhere in my office, on the shelves in Baxter High. A Book of the Dead, full of all sorts of necromantic rites. But Sabrina... even if you did use this rite, there's one part of the spell that's unspeakable." My blood boiled at the information Lilith was giving my cousin. "Which part?" Sabrina asked, leaning forward curiously. Lilith lowered her voice, "I'm loath to say it out loud. The spell requires an offering for the dead to rise. Balance out the cosmic forces." Sabrina began piecing it together, "Oh. Someone has to die for Tommy to live again." Lilith nodded, "An eye for an eye. A life for a life. But you couldn't cross that line." Everyone fell silent for a moment. Lilith sat back, "You are many things, Sabrina Spellman, but a killer is not one of them."
The ride back to the Mortuary was deadly silent. I stared out the window refusing to meet the Demoness' gaze. At one point she reached over attempting to place a calming hand on my thigh, a gesture which I quickly pulled away from. The tension in the air could be cut with a knife and when Lilith pulled to a stop in front of the house Sabrina quietly thanked her again before escaping. I debated on breaking the silence but I didn't trust myself with words at that particular moment so I chose instead to exit the car without so much as a backwards glance. "Nicole, wait." Her words stopped me in my tracks and I slowly turned as Lilith rounded the car to stand in front of me. I found myself looking anywhere but in her eyes because I knew the moment I did I would fall into her. "Aren't we going to talk about this?" she reasoned reaching out to take my hand. I grit my teeth feeling the flames threaten to break free. "There's nothing to talk about Lilith. Do you have any idea of what could come from that conversation? How far Sabrina would be willing to go. For a mortal no less." Then realization dawned on me and my gaze finally met hers. "You do know. Of course you do. This is what you want isn't it? You want her to resurrect Tommy Kinkle.." I said in disbelief. The world began to spin and it felt as if I was instantly plunged into ice water. She had no response. She would never lie to me. Or would she? Tears began to burn my eyes and I tried desperately to blink them back. "What game are you playing? This whole time... you told me you were here to make sure Sabrina signed her name. But it's more than that isn't it?" Something akin to regret flashed over her features. Her hands came up to cup my face as she stepped closer and I fought the urge to pull away. "Listen to me, Nicole. I wish I could tell you everything. Desperately, I do. But this is out of my hands. It's all His grand design. The Dark Lord has plans for Sabrina..." I frowned slowly taking in her words. In that moment she sounded no different than Faustus Blackwood. I pulled away instantly. "You couldn't even trust me with the truth and you expect me to just sit by and let you manipulate my cousin like some puppet? You don't know me at all," I frowned, turning on my heel. Immediately Lilith took my wrist, "Nicole, where are you going? You can't tell anyone. As my-" I cut in finishing for her, "As your what? As your handmaiden Lilith? I thought we were past that." She shrunk back slightly at the harshness in my tone. Her grip on my wrist loosened as she softened, "I didn't mean it that way, darling. Just please. Trust me. I won't let anything happen to you or her. I've never failed you before." Seeing the vulnerability that it seemed only I was privy to turned my anger into a deep sadness that hung  heavy in my chest. "I need time, Lilith. Just give me some time," I sighed. She was right. She had never failed me. Not once. Not to mention I trusted her with my life. I was too far in to abandon her now. The sadness reflected deep in my Demoness' eyes nearly broke me. "I'll be here when you're ready," She spoke softly as she kissed my knuckles and strode away. I walked inside, closing the door softly behind me so as to not draw any unwanted attention. "Lover's quarrel?" My mother questioned taking a drag off her cigarette. "Satan in hell- have you been here this whole time?" She exhaled and rolled her eyes, "Obviously. Now are you going to tell me what was said or not?" I shot her a glare as I took off my heels. "Don't Start," I warned before making my way up to my room to suffer in some much needed silence.