Chapter Three

Chapter 3
"How was your day at school, Cousin?" I shot a look at Ambrose before scribbling another footnote into my Grimoire. "They're forcing me to go to this mortal cesspool for the simple reasoning that someone must babysit Sabrina." Ambrose smirked knowingly, "Yes, but you're in a far better mood than usual so something good must've come out of it?" I felt a heat creep up into my cheeks and I cursed myself. "Perhaps you've met someone?" I shut my book and studied Ambrose for a moment. He peered at me from behind his laptop screen. "And what if I have?" His smirk turned into a wide grin, "Well spill it! Who's the lucky lady?" I couldn't help but break into a smile. Ambrose was my bestfriend and the only one who really got me. "It's not like that.." He pursed his lips, "And why not? You're young, beautiful, and powerful amongst other redeeming qualities. You could have anyone in Greendale." My mind wandered to Ms. Wardwell, "She's a teacher at Baxter High, Ambrose." It was his turn to study me this time, "Why should this trouble you? You're a witch age gaps aren't uncommon in our world. Besides you're not even really 18." This was all true. Witches lived far longer than mortals and age was but a number. "She's mortal Ambrose." His eyes widened his mouth forming a perfect O. "Now that is problematic. If Auntie Zee found out ...." I nodded, " She would kill me and I doubt I would have the luxury of the Cain Pit." Ambrose looks at me deep in thought, "You're sure she's not a witch?" I sighed, "Positive. There's no way she could be. She's not in our coven and I know every witch and warlock in Greendale." He mulls it over, "It's just... You're Zelda Spellman's daughter. No ordinary mortal would be able to capture your attention and hold it." I rolled my eyes playfully, "Perhaps I have been spending too much time with Sabrina?" He raised his eyebrow in amusement, "Speak of the devil." Sabrina made her way up our drive and I could already tell by her demeanor we were going to get our daily dose of teenage angst. "Why so glum, Sabrina?" She sighed and stopped at the bottom of the steps that lead up to the porch. "I was telling Harvey that I was leaving Baxter High to go to a posh boarding school in Connecticut. But then, I didn't want to lie to him so," Another sigh, " I told him I was a witch." At that I nearly fell off the railing, "You did WHAT?!" Ambrose reached out a hand to help steady me, "Oh my." Sabrina looked at me cautiously, "But it was too wrenching so I took it back." Ambrose looked concerned, "Wrenching in what way?" I shot him my best 'Do not encourage this' look. I can only imagine it was the same look my mother gave when anyone stepped out of line. "In every way. The whole situation. It's impossible. I love Harvey. I don't want to say bye to him. Or my friends. I wish I could bring them with me." He frowned, "On the path of night? Oh cousin. If only I could make things easier for you." She shook her head, "That's okay. I'll get through it." I nodded, "You'll get through it." Ambrose nudged me with his foot, "What? I'm just giving a little positive affirmation." Sabrina looked between the two of us, "Right, one thing you can both do is help me with a spell later. To deal with my Principal. SO I can set up a club at school before my baptism. To protect Susie and all the girls. If I can't stay with them, at least I can do this one thing." We both perked up at that. Nothing like a little spellcasting to chase away the blues. "Your Grimoire is my Grimoire. And what time will we be spell-casting?" Sabrina smiled, "Midnightish?" I couldn't stop the smirk from forming, "The witching hour? Ooh, Spooky."

Later that night the three of us gathered in Ambrose's room. "This isn't like you, cousin, using witchcraft to settle personal vendettas. Nicole on the other hand.." I smirked in their general direction as I finished lighting the last of the candles. "These are desperate times, Ambrose. Now remember I don't want to kill Principal Hawthorne. I just want to give him a good scare," this was directed at me, "Ms. Wardwell told us he's terrified of spiders." At the mention of her name my heart jumped into my throat and my mind wandered back to the events earlier in the day. "Oh, that's easy then. It's lucky Aunt Hilda keeps them as her familiars." I popped open the lid to the spider's enclosure, "You're sure you don't want to kill him? Because we could do that." She shook her head, "Nope, I just need him to take a day or two off from school." Ambrose looked at me with a mischievous smirk, "RIght. We'll only mildly traumatize him, then." We all fell silent as Ambrose began the incantation, "Spider, O Spider, Pray why do you spin your pretty white web so fine and so thin? To catch fat flies and make them into pies." Sabrina continued, "Spider, O Spider, Pray do you not see? Here comes a big, buzzing, blundering bee." The room was vibrating with energy as our magic synched and I felt a new wave of adrenaline. "He'll spoil your fine net while you fume and you fret, but no mercy you'll grant, and no mercy you'll get." Once again the room fell silent. "How will we know if the spell worked?" Ambrose and I shared an amused look at Sabrina's naivete. "Don't worry it worked. Goodnight, cousins."