Chapter Twenty Three

The following evening I sat at my bedroom window overlooking the cemetery just outside. The night was dreary and thick fog blanketed the earth. Not even the stars seemed to want to shine that night. I had begun to regret the way I had spoken to Lilith the day prior and how I just pushed her away. I was broken from my thoughts when the previously silent night was filled with barking and growling echoing from the surrounding woods. Almost as if a pack of wild dogs were prowling just beyond the treeline. I heard Nyx let out a long howl as she paced in front of the house warding off any unwelcome canine visitors. I didn't even want to know why the Hounds of Hell were running through Greendale. Nor did I care at that point. Shortly after the hounds a warm wind blew through the window leaving as quickly as it came. The air around me crackled with electricity, magic hanging in the air. "Did you feel it?" I was startled when a voice sounded behind me. "The Santa Diabla. The ill wind that just blew." I turned slowly, coming face to face with the Mother of Demons herself. "Lilith," I said breathlessly. She stepped forward tentatively, "I know you said you needed time but when I heard the hounds I had to make sure you were safe." I raised an unconvinced eyebrow and she simply smirked. We both knew the Hounds posed no threat to me. She simply needed a viable excuse to drop in unannounced. She took another step forward, her hands dropping to my waist as she searched my eyes for any sign of protest. "Fine. Perhaps I just couldn't stay away," She admitted. My heart sped up at her admission and I wondered if she could feel it. "Then don't," I murmured, bringing my lips up to meet hers. She instantly melted into the kiss pulling me further into her. "Don't ever leave me like that again," She frowned. I laughed tracing my thumb across her adorable pout, "It was only a day, my love." She dipped down for another kiss, "And yet it felt like an eternity." Between the buzz of magic in the atmosphere and Lilith's sinful lips devouring my own I grew intoxicated on the feelings I was experiencing. Getting swept up in it all I nearly forgot myself. "Do I even want to know who invoked the Hounds of Hell?" I asked, pushing her back slightly. "I would tell you, darling, but I'd much rather you not be cross with me any longer," She pouted. I huffed out a laugh at how adorably contrite my demoness looked. I'd have to deal with Sabrina later because in that moment all that mattered was the woman in front of me. If I hadn't known better I would've thought she'd cast some sort of spell over me. I would've never admitted it out loud but the 24 hours we had been apart felt like torture to me as well. My hand came to wrap around the back of her neck pulling her into a searing kiss, the little moan that fell past her lips only spurred me on further. I turned us walking her back towards my bed moving to straddle her hips once she fell back on it. I pulled my lip between my teeth as her hands trailed up my thighs pushing my dress over my hips. Her nails raked back down leaving faint red scratches and her blue eyes flicked to mine watching my reaction. I gently lifted her chin and brought our lips closer, "You know there's one good thing that came out of our little disagreement." Lilith hummed in reply, gaze never leaving my lips, "And what is that, my love?" I smirked, "The amazing make-up sex we're about to have." Her breath hitched before she pulled me down into a kiss that was all tongues and teeth filled with promise.
The next morning I woke to the sun shining in through the window as expert fingers carded softly through my hair. Smiling to myself I turned in Lilith's embrace. "You stayed," I murmured sleepily. She brushed a stray strand of hair out of my face as she smiled softly, "Is that so surprising, Darling?" I hummed in response, moving along her bare chest placing featherlight kisses over the marks I had left the night before. A content sigh fell from her lips as her nails scraped against my scalp before wrapping in my hair and pulling me into a lazy kiss. "You know I was thinking perhaps we should just stay in bed all day," my Demoness purred between kisses. I placed a final peck to her lips before sitting up to straddle her hips. "As tempting as you are, my love, Mary Wardwell has to be at work and I'll be expected at the Academy," I reasoned. She sighed dramatically, a pout playing on her lips, "I suppose you're right, darling." After a quick shower and final kiss from Lilith I rushed downstairs already running late. When I entered the kitchen my mother didn't even spare me a glance over her morning paper. "So glad you could finally join us, daughter." I took my seat next to Ambrose who shot me a knowing smirk but luckily I was saved by the phone ringing through the house. "Spellman Sisters Mortuary, how may I assist you?" came Aunt Hilda's cheery voice.  Once we heard the phone click my mother spoke up, "Yes, Hilda?" Aunt Hilda sighed sadly, "Well, it seems that most, if not all, of the miner's bodies have been recovered. So they'll be arriving later today." At the news Ambrose, Sabrina, and I all shared a look knowing what would come once they saw one was missing. "And Satan willing, they'll bring some closure to those men's families. By the way, how is Harvey coping with it all?" My mom questioned lowering her paper. Sabrina paled, "He's hanging in there. Aunt Hilda, what time did you say the bodies were arriving?"
"Um, this afternoon. I'm going to be at the bookstore," Aunt Hilda explained. "I can receive them," Mom said plainly now back to reading her newspaper. "Uh, but do let me handle them, Aunt Zelda, when I'm back from the academy," Ambrose cut in quickly. "Which is where I'll be later today as well. The High Priest has appointed me Directrix of the Satanic Choir," My mother explained proudly. I hid my sneer behind my coffee cup as I took a much needed sip. First lightening my cousin's sentence and now this? I didn't know what game Blackwood was playing but he could leave my mother out of it. "Oh! When did he do that?" My Aunt questioned excitedly. "Never you mind, Hilda. You stick to cleaning up "spills on aisle five" or whatever it is you do in that tawdry little shop. In the meantime Nicole, Ambrose, Sabrina, and I will be restoring the luster to the Spellman family name. Good things are coming. I can feel it in my bones," Mom said puffing up in pride. At the last part both Ambrose and I looked to Sabrina. If only my mother knew the storm that was brewing. I actually almost began to believe her as the day went on. Sabrina went to Baxter High and the rest of us went on to the Academy. We parted ways when my mother and Ambrose went to meet with the High Priest to get settled and I broke off to go and assist with classes. Three lectures in and no further news of Sabrina's misadventures I thought we could possibly even be in the clear. That was until a frantic Ambrose pulled me to the side. "Ambrose, you look as if you've seen a ghost," I joked. His face was ghostly pale and his hands clammy. "Not a ghost, Cousin. A witch by whom all rights should be dead," He explained. I frowned, "This must have something to do with Sabrina's resurrection." Ambrose glanced around quickly before pulling us into an alcove. "Sabrina's spell required a sacrifice. A life for a life. She cut Agatha's throat only to then bury her in the Cain Pit. She's being plagued by the Grim Reaper and he means to collect," He explained in a hushed whisper. Sabrina's mistakes just continued to get messier and messier. Only now she was dragging other witches into it. "Does Aunt Hilda or my mother know?" I questioned processing this new information. Ambrose shifted nervously, "I had to tell Aunt Hilda. Agatha is throwing up grave dirt. Gravel. We're returning home now to see what we can possibly do to stop this." I nodded slowly, "I'll stay here. I'm supposed to be meeting with the High Priest and Mom shortly for her first Satanic Choir rehearsal. I'll keep her away from the house as long as I can." My cousin kissed my cheek, "You're a hell send, cousin." Thankfully once I reached the desecrated church my mother seemed to be in a good mood which meant news of what was going on hadn't reached her yet. I took my seat next to the High Priest as my mother began to lead the Choir in their scales. I often forgot how soothing my mother's voice was as she began singing. She looked absolutely radiant and light hearted. It made me fear what would happen once she found out about Sabrina's current predicament. They nearly made it through the entire song when a young witch on the back row let out a shriek and everyone turned to see Agatha stumbling into the church. Her face and nightgown were stained with soil and she looked like death itself. "Help me," She rasped before collapsing in the middle of the aisle. Just like that all my hopes of keeping my mother in the dark went up in flames. With help from Nick Scratch we laid Agatha on one of the pews where her sisters attempted to wake her. "How did Agatha end up a living cadaver? Tell me everything, at once," Father Blackwood commanded. Prudence was the first to speak up, "It's all Sabrina's doing, Father. She wanted to resurrect a mortal that was crushed in the mine collapse." Blackwood and my Mother shared a look at the mention of my cousin's name. "Sabrina performed a resurrection?" Mom choked out. "With a Book of the Dead," Prudence explained and immediately my heart dropped into the pit of my stomach, "she slit Agatha's throat as part of the ritual...to bring the Kinkle boy back." I flashed back to the day in Dr. Cerberus' when Lilith told Sabrina about both the book and the ritual. "And then brought Agatha back to life in a Cain Pit in the Spellman's yard," Nick continued breaking me from my thoughts. "But something's gone wrong. The boy is alive," Prudence admitted. "Thomas Kinkle is alive?" My mother questioned in disbelief. "But Agatha is getting sicker and sicker," Prudence finished. "Your Excellency, I knew nothing of this, I swear it. But I can—" My mother defended as the high priest turned to her. "You can what? Control Sabrina? Punish her? No. You've proven time and again you cannot. Girls take Agatha to where you should've in the first place: the Infernal Infirmary. I'll make short work of the resurrected boy. Restore the balance, clean up this bloody mess," He said looking at my mother pointedly as he finished. My mom quickly stepped in front of him, "Please, Father, allow me. Sabrina is my niece, my responsibility. Her transgression is mine. Whatever she did, I will undo. Give me a chance to make things right. I will not fail you again." My stomach twisted at the pleased expression on his face as he looked my mother up and down. "Do it then," He said simply. My mother took a deep breath, "Thank you." I followed my mom out who proceeded to exit without a word. "Did you have anything to do with this?," My mother asked flatly. "I didn't," I replied simply. Although it felt like I did. Had it not been for Lilith telling her where her Book of the Dead was, Sabrina would've never had the means. And at that point Lilith and I were so intertwined it felt like her transgressions were my own. But Lilith asked me to trust her and my faith was unwavering. There was nothing left I could do but allow everything to play out. I just hoped Sabrina was prepared for the consequences of her actions.