𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟕: 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐠𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐲 𝐛𝐮𝐫𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐤𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬

THE WEEKEND 

THE WEEKEND 

"Damn everybody in they mommy at this bitch." Aaliyah said as she locked her arms with me.

The music was banging; the weed was loud, and the drinks were flowing. We met Dominic and Treyvon at the corner of the party. My friend wasted no time attaching herself to Treyvon's side. I and Dominic awkwardly stand there getting bumped into by drunk people. No one at the party danced. Just drinking and chatting. It was more of a social event thing.

As Dominic steps out of the way of some drunk girl, she asks, "What are you tryna to do?".

"What you tryna do?" I repeat after her. But she didn't find it as amusing as I did. "Well, our friends ditched us. Sooo."

I'll get some drinks," Dominic said.

"Oh, I don't drink alcohol."

"Okay, I'll see what else they have. Just wait here." Dominic disappears into the crowd.

I bop my head to the group salt-n-pepa. My fingers tap against my jeans. Dominic returned with our drinks quickly. She handed me a Sprite can, and I thanked her. Dominic stood by my side, mostly people-watching. Sometimes I'd glance up at her to catch her staring at me and she looked away, her face turning red.

"Is Treyvon a good guy?" I asked. "I just hate to see my friend hurt again."

Dominic sips from her cup before speaking. "He is. And trust me, he wouldn't hurt your friend. Besides, didn't she run off with him at the thrift shop?"

Aaliyah rushed into things before getting to know a guy. Because she saw prince charming in any guy who called her beautiful. She was the hopeless romantic type. Falling in love with the idea of being in love, no matter how awful the person was. Her last ex wasn't shit. He lied about having a baby mama and didn't even care for his three kids. Then he wanted to make Aaliyah his next baby mama. I had to shake some sense into my friend.

I didn't know Dominic like that, but I trusted her word about her friend.

"You wanna dance?" Dominic asked.

"Uh, I can't dance."

"Just as horrible as your singing?" she joked. 

I smiled up at her nudging her arm. "I sound like an angel. Wouldn't you agree?

She smiles and says nothing and takes another sip from her cup. I pop the tab on my Sprite and drink. The song transitioned from salt-n-pepa to another artist I had never heard of.

Dominic danced a little, feeling the music. While she was in her own zone. I danced some, too. A guy with long silky hair dressed as a hippie passed out blunts. "Veg out," he said. Handing me and Dominic a blunt. The guy danced away to another set of people.

"Do you smoke?" Dominic asked.

"No. But I did in high school."

"Take mine." She hands her blunt to me.