𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎: 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞

When we arrived at Jasmine's place, I didn't want to leave her yet. Mostly because of Imani, my wolf wouldn't chill out after what happened earlier when we walked up on Jasmine and her Ex, grabbing her the way she did. Imani was trying to go into full kill mode. It took everything in me to control her primal instinct. You see your mate in danger and want to save them, no matter the cost.

Seeing the way she was grabbed brought up memories of the times I heard Mama and Pops talk about some domestic violence cases within the pack and the countless times I saw women, even men battered and bruised by their husbands or wives just because the dinner wasn't hot enough or the pups cried too loudly. There were times my mama had to step in numerous times to pull mates from their subs or omegas.

Physically harming your mate should tear you apart from the inside out. No matter how fucking upset and stressed you are, no one should harm their mate. As the next Alpha of the pack, I would do what my mama used to do as an Alpha. Handling cases like those wasn't a once-in-a-while thing. It was more like an everyday thing. And I so wasn't ready.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I am," she said.

"She isn't gonna come to your place, right?" I had to be sure she wouldn't, but Imani had to be sure too. She's pacing in my mind, teeth bared.

I don't feel safe leaving her alone. Imani said.

I know, but we can't stay with her. We'll return later tonight. 

Even if her ex showed up, and there was an altercation,I would react without thinking. How would I explain to Jasmine what I was doing around her place without seeming like a stalker?

"No," Jasmine said as she played with the seatbelt strap.

"If she does, you can always call me."

I could at least use her calling as an excuse.

"You're like a knight in shining armor, huh?" Jasmine asked, laughing. 

 "I'm whatever you like me to be." I teased a bit. She reached across the console and punched my arm. It felt like a marshmallow hitting me.

"So um," Jasmine said. "I have this spring exhibit coming up and I was wondering if you would like to come?"

"Sure," I said. Of course, I wanted to be a supportive mate. And for some fucking reason, there was this blooming warmth that spread throughout my chest. It didn't come from my wolf. But from me.

"Alright, I'll let you know the time and date." Jasmine opens the car door and gets out.

I wanted to reach across the console to stop her, to ask her to stay longer and talk with me. I didn't care what we talked about, hell it could be why her favorite color was her favorite color. As long as I was still with her, that's all I cared about.