Chapter 15

I didn't sleep well that night at all, and by the look of him, Ben didn't either. The whole ride to school the next morning was in awkward silence. I was still angry at him, but I knew my anger would be short-lived as I couldn't stand this tension between us. Pathetically, I miss him already. I miss our normal morning teasing and the warmth in his eyes when he tells me good morning. He hasn't looked at me once as of yet, eyes just staring straight ahead on the road. Why do I have to love a guy who can't love me in return, at least not in the way I desire. Maybe I am becoming my mother after all.

         Once at school, we parted ways in continued stubbornness. To my surprise, Curtis seeks me out and walks me to class when he can and starts to sit with me at lunch. I can't decide what I like more: his attention or catching Ben staring at us. Julia seems to approve, though, as she actually smiles at me before drawling Ben back into conversation. Later in the day, I was in the restroom washing my hands at the sink when she walked up next to me and started to fiddle with her hair. She speaks to me while looking in the mirror,

"You and Curtis are so cute together. He really is a catch, you know."

"Thanks. I like him. He's . . . nice," I responded. She smiles and simply states,

"Good." Then she turns and walks out of the bathroom with a new bounce in her step. I know the real reason why she is happy. She hopes I will no longer be a threat to her precious relationship with Ben.

                As the week came to an end, I grew anxious about what I was going to wear to prom. I had a little money left from Momma's savings, but there was no way I was going to spend the whole of it on a single fancy dress. And I doubted even that it would be enough to purchase one plus the accessories to go with it. Maybe I could talk to Daddy into stopping at the local thrift store on our weekly grocery trip. Hopefully, he wouldn't mind sitting in the car and giving me some time to look around. He probably would allow it as long as he had a drink to occupy him. Then, on Friday, while Ben was driving me home from school, he surprised me.

"Abby, I want to make a truce. I'm sorry for the way I've acted. You are right that I can't tell you who to date. I'm just protective of you, you know? And Curtis . . . Just be careful, okay? And if he ever . . . If you ever need me, you know I'll always be there for you. Right?" Relieved, I smiled at him.

"Thanks, and I will, but I'm a big girl now. I can handle a date to the prom."

"I know, it's just hard to see my 'Little Sis' growing up." He tries to make a joke, but it falls flat when I just look at him with an eyebrow raised. Really? I wanted to say, "So you kiss your 'sister' senseless sometimes? As if reading my mind, he clears his throat and looks away. "Well, anyway, I talked to my mom, and she doesn't mind if you want to borrow one of her gowns. You look to be about her size . . . or do you already have something?" He looks at me in question. I am shocked and grateful. I tell him I wouldn't mind to see what she has and get a woman's opinion on what looks good on me. 

         He stops at his house instead of driving me straight home. I'm a little nervous as we go inside. I'm not sure what to expect. I've never been inside his house before AND to have to interact with his mom. Mrs. Tate is lounging on the couch reading a book in the nicest living room I have ever seen. I can't help looking around in awe of the place.

"Oh! Hello, it is Abby, right?" she questions as she puts her book aside. "Are you interested in looking through some of my old rags to wear to prom?" She says it in jest, but I feel slightly insulted as her 'old rags' would out do anything I could afford.

"Yes, Ma'am. I'm really grateful to you for being willing to do this. I, I lost my mother not too long ago, and I could really use a woman's help as this is my first prom and all." Her face softens some as she replies,