Chapter 16

I'm sitting in front of Mrs. Tate's vanity table, and I don't even recognize myself. She has done an amazing job. My hair is pulled half up, but in a loose style that allows tendrils of my wavy hair to fall, framing my face. She has tamed my naturally wild and wavy hair into soft waves that are cascading down my back. She used a dark, smokey brown to shadow my eyes, a little eyeliner on the outer top eyelids, mascara, a hint of contouring blush on my cheeks, and a shimmery, light pinkish-gold lip gloss. The make-up transforms me to look like I am twenty. I get to wear simple gold dangling earrings, a wide gold bangle on my wrist, and strappy gold high-heeled sandals. She smiles at me through the mirror.

"Come down when you're ready, but don't take too long, though. You and Ben will need to leave soon." I nod and say that I'll just be a minute.

After gathering my courage, I started to descend the grand staircase slowly so as not to fall. When Ben hears the clicking of my heels, he turns, and our eyes lock. He looks just as stunned as I did a few minutes ago. I give him a shy smile, and he opens his mouth as if to say something, but nothing comes out. I glance at his mother, who is watching him closely with a strange expression on her face, but my attention is brought back to Ben as he begins to speak.

"Abby . . . you look . . . gorgeous."

"You don't look too bad yourself," I say as I come to a stop in front of him. And it is true. He is dressed in a black tux, white under shirt, and a black vest that has a shiny black design that reflects in the light. I reach out to adjust his bow that is slightly crooked. His eyes follow my hand and then return to my eyes with a hint of a smile in them.

"You better get going. Julia is waiting," his mother so kindly reminds us, breaking the magical spell. Ben blinks, then looks down as he rubs the back of his neck.

"Yeah, you're right. We should get going," he agrees.

We load up in his truck and head over to Julia's house. She comes out in a hot pink gown that's long with lace and rhinestones on the sweetheart bodice. She looks great, I have to admit. Her black hair is pulled up in an elegant twist, and she has dangling diamonds from her ears. I watch annoyed as they exchange the corsage and boutonniere and then take a dozen pictures out by some flowering shrubbery in her yard. Her mother is nice enough to offer to take pictures of me as well, and I try to politely decline, but Ben insists that we take one group photo. Ironically, he is sandwiched between us with his arms wrapped around both of our waists.

"Smile!" Julia's mother yells, and Ben gently digs in his fingers to tickle me where his hand rests on my hip, causing me to give a genuine smile instead of the forced one I was attempting. I swat his arm with the back of my hand, and he laughs.

"What?" Julia asks, looking between us.

"Nothing." Ben answers giving me a quick smile before grabbing Julia's hand and leading her toward his truck, but not before she gives me a hard glare. Ben's truck has a bench seat, so she goes in first to sit next to him and me squeezing in as the third wheel. This is totally awkward, and it is obvious that Julia is annoyed with me being here.

"When will you get to drive yourself, Abby?" she asks in a falsely sweet voice.

"Soon, but not soon enough," I answered dryly. Ben glances at me with hurt in his eyes. I look away, feeling like a jerk for making the comment. Julia just gets under my skin easily. I never want to give up my rides with Ben, but I can't say that now, can I?

We arrive at the dance, and as we are walking up to the school, I see Curtis standing with a group of guys by the door. I smile and give a quick wave as we approach. The guys around him start to whisper and elbow him in the ribs. He shoves them off but laughs all the same. He takes a long look, eyeing me up and down.