Lune: Howling Whispers

All they could hear was whispers. Whispers that sounded like a cacophony of screams in Lune's ears. The night roiled around twists of flame leaping and dancing as the world roared by. The whispers spoke over each other, trying to drown out the other while at the same time making sure that Lune heard everything that they had to say. The eladrin's face twisting in anguish as they listened.

W̷͈̄ò̷͓r̷̫̃t̶͎̃ḧ̶͙́l̴͇̒ḙ̸͆s̵͙͊s̵̭̍

̸̮̕Y̵̺͒ó̴͖ṳ̵̍ ̵͓̈d̵̜͘o̴͖͌ñ̵̫'̵̭͐t̵̘͋ ̵̺͋d̶̛̳ę̸̿s̵̡̃ě̶͚r̴̥̆v̵̯͘e̷͇̚ ̸̯̈́á̶̜ń̵̦y̶̳̐ ̶͕̃o̴̹͗f̷̠̅ ̴͕́i̶̺̾t̵͓͝

̴̘͗S̶̹͌ě̵̳l̶̖̿f̸̥́i̷̬̍s̶̞̽h̷̪͊

̵͓̑Ṫ̶̟h̴͊ͅe̸̬͠s̶͈͐ẹ̴̔ ̴̪̅p̵̪̿è̷̮o̸̭͝p̵̖͊l̴͍͐ę̸̾ ̸̺̕s̸͚͠h̶̝͊ȍ̶͚ù̴͖ḽ̷̇d̷̯́n̵̬͊'̵̖͑t̷̹̑ ̸̧̑b̸̪̔e̸͈̋ ̸̜̾w̶̻̅i̶̬͊ţ̶͠h̸͍͆ ̸͍͌y̴̜͆ò̵̪û̸͉

̷̪̿Y̵͙͗ȯ̶̗ů̶̠ ̵͓͆ả̴̤r̸̡͆e̸̖̕ ̸̲́a̴͙͐ ̸̙̑f̵̑͜ả̴̹ǐ̶̜l̵̼͠ü̵̯r̸̪̓è̶̯

Stop. Stop. All Lune wanted was for it to all just stop. But it didn't. The whispers seemed to grow louder and louder still. Silhouettes of flame danced at the edges of a void that seemed to consume Lune. They changed as quickly as they appeared. Running, reaching out, it all changed as the seconds ticked by. Longer and longer time seemed to stretch as no matter which way Lune attempted to go, everything stayed the same. The same whispers, the same familiar flames, the same distance, the same overwhelming sense of dread. It was always two steps forward, what seemed to be a thousand steps back.

The void was supposed to protect.... Wasn't the void supposed to protect? All they could feel was a need to break out of this void. And they were just stuck. Stuck, trapped, unable to make a difference. Vague flashes of memory of a spell being cast rang in Lune's mind. A tug to retain the spell crossed their mind, their mind scrambling to try to concentrate, to just breathe, to just calm down.

With a jolt they scrambled awake, loud, gasping breaths filling the air as Lune scrambled for some sense of stability. Hair tumbled down as they sat up quickly. The cave they had camped out in which was once filled with silence was now filled with strangled gasps. Lune's eyes darted around attempting to grab hold of familiarity, to make sure that nothing had changed.

Tolbert.

Milan.

Antonio.

They were all fine. Everything was fine.

...right?