Yvonne: Blast of the Past

Yvonne's eyes scanned the aftermath of the Oni defending himself. Benjamin Alex Richard and Cogbeld both lay on the ground limp and defeated. Her heart beating in her ears and blood pounding. Even though she may not have traveled with the two of them for long, the elf had grown somewhat of an attachment towards the two of them. Friends would be stretching it but a comfortable companionship was what she saw in them. Yvonne's feet carried her to Benjamin first, aware of the Oni and her temporary travel companions beginning to converse. She wasn't even focused on the wolds being said as she knelt by Benjamin and began wrapping his wounds in an attempt to stall the bleeding. It certainly wasn't the worst injury that she'd seen but it definitely wasn't good. None of this could be considered good. Yvonne vaguely registered the presence of someone standing behind her, Greg. Right- he also knew them. Him and Hajj and only them.

Tuning out the conversation even more until it was just a dull drone in her ears, her hands starting to stain crimson from Benjamin's blood. Emotions began to course through her, particularly anger in this case. Or was it frustration. Either way sparks of lightning started leaping off of her body, purple and yellow sparks fizzling out. The surge going through her blood to do something, to act. With a frown and a tug in their gut Yvonne ordered the power welling inside of her to be quelled. Which was done so reluctantly, magic wanting to pour out into the room.

Once she had done the best that she could to patch up Benjamin she dragged him against a pillar as the dull voices seemed to be getting increasingly more agitated. She didn't particularly want a defenseless man being caught within the crossfire. Thus turning her attention to Cogbeld who was in significantly worse shape than Benjamin was. The only problem being that his collapsed body was about 15 feet from the Oni. Yvonne's boots clicked against the tile in the throne room as she started making her way towards the body.

That was until a stern voice cut through her thoughts, "Yvonne stop. It's a trap." The voice registering in her head as Lucious'. His tone took on ones that she had heard of generals shouting orders on a battlefield. Her walking stalled as her eyes flickered from the Oni lounging around in the middle of the room to the guards coming in, to those who hid within the shadows. A scoff almost escaped her lips, she would bet that if one of his friends was the one laying in a pool of their own blood that Lucious would be one of the first to go to them. Thus her footsteps still echoed in the room as she knelt down to Cogbeld, Greg's strong presence still at her back.

Yvonne dropped her quarterstaff on the ground next to her in case of needing to grab it if a sudden fight broke out. Magic flickered in her fingertips, reciting the incantation of one of the spells she'd learned in order to help heal herself. Cogbeld was in much much worse shape than Benjamin had been in. A more delicate state to be in. One that regular medicine wouldn't be able to heal as well as those through magical means. Slowly Yvonne started to tune into the conversation which was essentially just simple fancy words and eloquent speech be used to shit talk either side. As the last words of her healing spell finished and Cogbeld seemed to be stabilized for the time being although his condition could rapidly decline if he didn't receive proper help soon.

The voice's of her companions started to rise and escalate in their tone. Weapons clanged as they were being drawn and mist produced by the machine in the room started to swirl around faster and faster. Yvonne slowly stood to her feet grabbing her quarterstaff from the ground as she stepped in front of Cogbeld's unconscious form. As voices fell silent mist enveloped the room and Yvonne found herself in a different place. A forest, one unfamiliar to her with a glowing exit in front of her.

Within a glance at one another the group suddenly knew what the others were thinking. Lucious tossed something to Argong, his own incense burning at the ready. Greg standing protectively in front of Hajj. Both Yvonne and Argong starting to run towards the exit. In which they could only hope to find the machine that was the likely cause of the hallucination they were experiencing.

Arrows from the enemies started flying at the party of adventurers. As Yvonne ran forward, her silver hair flowing behind her, her hand flew up as she whispered a quick incantation causing a shield of force to block an arrow flying at her. One stray arrow caught Argong by surprise but she forced her way forwards towards the opening of the forest leading deeper into the hallucination. Vaguely behind her Yvonne registered the act of Anansi conjuring for those slower to be able to ride. However, within a couple seconds and a couple enemies later, Argong's foot crossed the threshold into the blinding white light of the unknown.

In an instant the dewey and clean smell vanished, replaced by the smell of burning wood. Eyes snapped open Yvonne let out a small curse as she found herself reliving the incident in Elena all those years ago. Where Elena's doom was summoned.

Tears pricked at the corners of her eyes as smoke did its best to cloud her sight. Feeling behind her the door was stuck and the rest of the house was beginning to fall apart. Only a couple moments before it would come crumbling down on her. Grabbing a knife that was hot to the touch Yvonne glanced around quickly spying a window. With a lunge she hurled herself through it, shards of glass piercing her skin and thin lines of blood starting to race down her body.

Her hands meet the harsh surface of the ground outside, her skin scabbing from the rough contact. Slow mounting fear as Yvonne then realized what was to come next, glancing up as she saw the figure she saw all that time ago. It's sword coming down as she was able to dodge the first hit but took the full brunt of the second hit. Bile rising in her mouth as the sharp pain in her head felt like it was splintering her mind.

The masked figure loomed over her, preparing for yet another swing. Yvonne shot to her feet as the figure then cleaved down one of the people she treasured, a friend, in order to save Yvonne. In that moment Yvonne did something that she regretted doing all those years ago, something that she later swore to never do again.

She ran.

Within an instant mist whirled around her as she found herself in a new setting standing beside Greg. His armor and mask uncomfortably reminded Yvonne of the past as she took a step away from him and readied her quarterstaff with new enemies appearing in front of her. There, looming above all else, was the machine that had been in the background of the Oni.

Checkmate.