Prologue: An Unearthly Child

I can't believe this. I can't believe what had just happened...what I was just told.

I can't believe my parents would do such a thing—to keep this secret from me for so long!

I guess that settles it now. The beans have finally been spilt...

It's all true...

I am not human.

Of course, I've known this for a while, pretty much my whole life. Now that everything has been confirmed, it seems too absurd to be believable.

I don't know what to believe anymore. I don't even know my own identity anymore. I feel like my whole life has been a big, fat lie.

Only one thing is for certain, one thing that stands above all other absurdities:

I am an unearthly child.

A freak.

A nobody.

An alien.

An alien whose name was never the name that her human guardians gave her.

An alien who always seems to stand out from a large crowd, simply because her IQ is way too advanced for her age.

An alien who obviously has superpowers way beyond Planet Earth.

An alien who doesn't have a clue where she truly comes from.

An alien whose true name will haunt her for the rest of her days:

Nova Susan Song.

As much as I like the sound of the whole name put together, I don't want it to be mine. I don't want to possess the name of someone whom the entire universe seems to want dead. If I was born human—if I was normal—I wouldn't have to worry about such things. I could have normal rights, normal friends, a normal family...

A normal life.

But my life was never normal, and it will never be normal again.