Chapter 41: 'The Fall of the Eleventh'

Nova finds an opportunity to kill Madame Kovarian once and for all, only to end up failing, resulting in severe consequences. Will this be the end for Nova and her family—particularly the Doctor?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Several minutes later, I am, once again, shoved into another room, but this room seems to be much darker than the previous one—fitting for a twisted bunch of psychopaths, I think to myself.

Geez, I scoff at the soldier who shoved me, do you always have to shove me around everywhere? It's really starting to get on my nerves. No surprise, he responds by sliding the door in my face, though he doesn't lock it this time. I scoff at him again, this time out loud, "Same to you, pal...again." Not that he heard me, and even if he did, he wouldn't have cared. At least I managed to stay on my feet this time, unlike last time when I was pushed completely to the floor, practically shattering my knees in the process (not really, but it definitely felt like it at the time).

I take a moment to look around the dimly lit room. Thankfully it's not so dark to the point where one would feel required to use Night Vision, but it's still dark where a person's normal vision—even a Time Lord's—would take several seconds to adjust. After a few seconds, I can gradually make out a large desk and monitor along one wall, and on the far side of the room is an average-sized table that strangely appears to be set like Sunday Tea—a typical tea set with assorted pastries and the lot. I can barely make out the outline of the Wicked Witch herself, Madame Kovarian, sitting at the table, casually sipping from a small cup. A broad-shouldered soldier stands on guard by her side who I find strangely familiar, but the room is too dark to make out any major features of the man's face.

I snort at the ridiculous setup. Apparently, Kovarian wasn't kidding when she said she literally wanted to have tea with me. I can't believe she'd have the audacity to actually go through with it. This is an absolute joke, and, of course, I don't buy a second of it. As I cautiously approach the table, I realize that the setting is, in fact, real; not a trippy drug-dream that I would honestly prefer to be having instead.

"I know what you're thinking," Kovarian says as she continues sipping from her teacup without looking at me.

"Do you?" I scoff at her, seriously doubting her words. Even if she did know what I was thinking, why would she even care?

"I do," she says, still refusing to look at me. "You thought I was taking the mick when I offered you to have tea with me before. As you can see here, I wasn't taking the mick. I thought we would start on good terms. Get to know each other before you officially made your decision."

Yeah, and why should I believe any of that? I scoff again in my head. "How thoughtful of you," I scoff a third time, this time out loud, "but I'm not interested. In this, I mean." I gesture at the tea setting. God knows why Kovarian even bothered setting all of this up in the first place, whether she knows of my true plans or not, but I sure as hell don't trust any of it. Who the hell would?

She sighs as she finally looks up at me, still sipping from her teacup. "I had a feeling you'd say that." She then gives a sideways glance at the soldier standing nearby. "But it wasn't a request, dearie. Sit."

The soldier takes an aggressive step toward me, raising his gun, and as he does he steps under the light, and that's when I'm able to recognize him fully—the face of the man I always dreaded seeing every time I went in for my weekly Aikido classes. "Master Kang?" I gasp in shock.