Chapter 47: New Beginnings

Nova discusses her past regrets and new beginnings with her family over the Christmas holiday. Perhaps she'll finally realize that being a Time Lord isn't so bad, after all.

        A/N: This is the final chapter of Part 1. 

        A/N: Song on the side: "Perfect" by Ed Sheeran. 

        A/N: Photo from a Doctor Who parody video of the Christmas song "Baby, It's Cold Outside."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Hazel asks to be sent home to be with her parents, and we oblige. Thankfully this doesn't change her mind to still attend college with me in London, and I tell her to call me when she's ready, and we'll pick her back up again. Meanwhile, my mother still remains incapacitated in the TARDIS Med Bay, and my grandparents stay on board to help my father take care of her until she recovers.

I, however, am left dealing with my own problems. The moment Hazel is dropped off home, I feel immense guilt overtake me, and I rush to the TARDIS library to be alone. I spend a vast majority of time there, thinking of my past regrets, especially my regret of almost committing mass genocide on the Silence and having my mother-guardian take my place in the act—an act that should never have happened in the first place. I feel even worse now that Dad has found out (or, at least, I think he has), knowing I did almost exactly what he did to end the Time War.

Several hours later, the soothing sound of my father's voice startles me from my thoughts. "I had a feeling you'd be here..." he says as he approaches. "Again. This spot seems to have become a particular favorite of yours ever since I first brought you here."

I shrug, refusing to look at him and continuing to stare at the fire. "You did spend a lot of time in here with me before you gave me up." My statement automatically makes me think of that memory he shared with me of when he sat at this very spot while cradling my infant self in his arms, unwilling to let me go, even if it was for my own safety. "Plus, it's cozy."

"You're not wrong about that," he smiles as he sits on the sofa beside me. "That's one of the reasons why I like to come here myself. It helps to calm me when I'm feeling upset or lonely..." He then gives a sideways glance toward me as he adds under his breath in a nudging manner, "Or when I need to get something off my chest."

I give a sideways glance back at him, knowing exactly what he is referring to, but I am reluctant to talk about it at this time. Obviously, since I seriously botched things up between us, and I regret it immensely.

He must sense my thoughts and reluctance to talk, because he says, insisting on talking anyway, "I think it's time we talked. Wouldn't you agree?"

"Not really," I mumble shamefully. Not like you'll give me a choice; I add in my head but do not say.

"But we need to," he says in an insistent tone. "Rather, you know you need to. It's alright. I'm the only one here; there's nobody else here to listen to us. Well, no one else besides your grandparents, but they're still in the Med Bay taking care of your mother. It's just me here. You can talk to me."

I shake my head, my anxiety increasing. "I don't want to talk about it. Once I do, you'll get mad at me... Maybe even give me up again, this time for good." I can't imagine being banished from the TARDIS forever, never being allowed to travel through Space and Time again.

Just when I thought I finally found a place to properly fit in, I think dismally in my head. To finally fit into a life where I can be accepted for who I really am. If Dad—the Doctor—took that away from me...