one.

Marley and JJ had skipped the last day of school to hit the waves at the beach, seeing it as a pointless occasion-heck, they thought most school days weren't worth their time. They spent the entire day there, rolling their own joints before taking to the water, both laughing when they failed to catch the big waves, enjoying each other's company.

After returning the borrowed surfboards they'd "acquired" from a nearby shed, they made their way to an under-construction building to meet their friends. Marley observed John B as he balanced on one foot atop the structure, beer in hand.

"That's about a three-story fall to the deck, isn't it?" Pope remarked, eyeing John B. "I'd give you a one-in-three chance of survival."

"Hmm," John B hummed, licking his finger to gauge the wind's direction. "Should I go for it?"

"I think you should," Marley said, exhaling smoke and extending the joint toward John B. "I'll let you have a hit if you do."

"Tempting," John B replied, glancing at her.

"Yeah, jump," Pope chimed in, pointing a drill at John B. "I'll shoot you on the way down."

"You'll shoot me?" John B teased, making a "pew" sound with his finger guns aimed at Pope.

Pope was the smartest of the Pogues, with a scholarship on the line that could offer him a way out of Kildare. He was the group's brain, though always up for an adventure. Most of the time, he served as the voice of caution.

Marley smirked as she watched Kiara leave the building, aware that JJ was about to be subjected to one of Kie's rants about the building's environmental impact.

"They're even putting in Japanese toilets with towel warmers," Kiara complained when she joined Marley's side.

"Of course. Why wouldn't they?" JJ quipped, taking a sip of his beer.

"This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, right?" she sighed.

"How could we live without warm towels?" Marley sarcastically added, passing Kiara the joint, which she accepted graciously.

"I can't have cold towels," JJ contributed to the jest, both siblings laughing when Kiara shot them a glare.

Kiara inhaled the smoke, blew it out, and then looked up at John B with concern. "Can you please not kill yourself?"

"Don't spill that beer; I'm not giving you another one," JJ warned. Despite John B's best efforts, he misplaced his footing and dropped the beer, leading Marley to laugh as he groaned.

"Smooth." "Of course you did," both Kiara and JJ chimed in unison.

"You dumbass, JB," Marley laughed as she received her joint back from Kiara.

Pope stood on the building's ledge, watching as a police car pulled up nearby. He quickly turned to address the rest of the Pogues. "Hey, uh, security's here."

Marley grinned and exclaimed, "Oh, shit, let's go."

She lived for the adrenaline rush of evading the police. The thrill of looking over her shoulder, wondering if the officers might use force or if she'd get arrested, was one of her favourite aspects of running. The uncertainty and anticipation were alluring.

As she made her escape, she saw JJ sliding across the floor, avoiding the officer. She called for Pope to catch up and ensured she was the first to jump over the fence, assisting the boy by sitting at the top with her legs on either side. Gary was left behind as JJ, Pope, and Marley leaped into the 'twinkie.'