thirteen.

Tensions soared among the Pogues upon learning that the gold wasn't buried with the Royal Merchant. Marley, while not entirely shocked, could sense the disappointment radiating from her friends. They had literally walked through hells gates and handed their asses of to the devil, only to come up empty-handed. It was a bitter pill to swallow after enduring so much adversity.

The ride back on the boat was somber, with everyone lost in their thoughts about the recent disappointment. JJ dropped off Kiara and Pope first, then handed the wheel to John B to take him home. Marley opted to stay with John B, casually mentioning her decision as JJ hopped off the boat to bid his goodbyes.

Marley had anticipated the change in weather and swapped her outfit before setting out on the boat. She opted for a pair of JJ's sweats paired with a plain white t-shirt, topped with a navy blue zip-up hoodie. Her hair was neatly braided into Dutch braids, a practical choice to prevent it from getting frizzy in the rain. With her hood up, she followed John B off the boat and into the chateau.

Marley's hands were tucked into her hoodie pockets as she entered, her demeanor calm and collected until an unfamiliar voice startled her, causing her to jump in surprise.

"Hey, buddy." Marley's curiosity piqued as the woman's voice greeted them. She glanced at John B with a raised eyebrow before shifting her attention to the woman, studying her intently as she slowly removed her hood, hands still tucked in her pockets. The woman's gaze met Marley's, her expression carrying a sense of authority as she assessed the pair, "I see you brought company."

"You know, Cheryl, this is kind of a bad time for a check-in." Marley observed John B sigh in defeat, and her curious thoughts about the woman dissipated. It became clear that she was a social worker, and with the storm clearing up, it was evident she was here for John B.

The woman settled comfortably on the couch, leaving the only available seat in the chateau beside her. Marley opted to move over and take the spot, offering a tight-lipped smile as she adjusted her position, spreading her legs slightly. Cheryl glanced at her briefly before returning her attention to John B with a shrug, "Not a check-in. We're here to take you up."

"Today? really?" John B asked in a calm tone, and Marley couldn't help but be impressed, although she felt herself tensing at the woman's words.

"It's just for a few weeks until you're hearing." Cheryl leaned forward on the couch as she explained, while Marley watched her with a narrowed gaze.

"No, no. Cheryl, look, I'm not going to foster care, okay?" John B shook his head and placed a hand on his forehead, "I'm not gonna go be apart of your little system."

Just as he disagreed, an officer entered the room, causing Marley to furrow her eyebrows. Cheryl then looked towards her and remarked, "It's good that you tagged along, Marley. The sheriff is looking to have a word with you."

Marley maintained her composure, refusing to be intimidated by the woman's presence. She even allowed herself a small smirk of amusement, "For what?"

"Something about a disturbance on the beach." Cheryl smirked back at the girl which made the teenager clench her jaw as her right leg began bouncing slightly, "This is Deputy Thomas. He works with juveniles for the sheriff's department. Look, I know uncle T is down in Mississippi working at the casino. He hasn't been here in months."

"What?" John B scoffed, attempting to maintain his façade, but Marley could see right through it. Their eyes locked, and she wished he hadn't, knowing all too well the meaning behind his gaze. He tried to make a run for it before the big officer stepped in front of him, "Okay, see that's my worst nightmare. I want emancipation."