twelve.

The sun shone brightly over the Pogues as a new day began. Today was the day they planned to use the drone to investigate the hidden location marked with an 'x' on the map from John B's father, Big John. Marley arrived later than expected the previous night, having to walk from Figure Eight back to the cut due to the lack of data to call John B for a ride. Despite the inconvenience, the walk allowed her time to reflect on the recent interaction with Sarah.

Meeting up with the Kook Princess for a heart-to-heart felt kinda weird for Marley. What made it worse—or maybe better—was the fact that she'd probably do it again if asked. Stuck in a dilemma, Marley wasn't one to mess with relationships, but there was this undeniable connection between them. You could see it in the way Sarah got all flustered when Marley shot her a certain look.

Yet, Marley was aware that her friends, except maybe John B who seemed to enjoy teasing her about it, would disapprove. She didn't want to find herself in an awkward position where the Pogues felt betrayed. After all, it didn't quite make sense, a Pogue getting tangled up with a Kook. That's what Marley pondered as she crouched down, squinting against the bright sun.

Marley sported a pair of JJ's loose denim shorts, cinching them with a spare shoelace threaded through a belt hole to prevent them from falling off. She paired them with a baggy black t-shirt adorned with yellow writing. Her hair was casually tied in a low bun, keeping it off her neck with a few baby hairs flowing from each side. Visible were a few tattoos scattered across her arms, and the writing behind her ear that extended down her neck.

"What's this?" JJ asked, extending his hand toward the buttons, only to have Pope slap it away.

"Don't touch that," Pope released a frustrated sigh, exchanging a glance with Marley, who responded with a teasing smirk, "I'm trying to work this thing out."

JJ shot the boy a look, "God bless geeks, Pope. Truly, man. What would we do without you to control the drones?"

Marley observed John B on the screen, swimming and waving his hands. Unable to contain herself, she let out a silent laugh. "Look at those pruny hands," she remarked with a grin.

"It's not a drone. It's an ROV." Pope shot back at JJ, their bickering continuing in a back-and-forth exchange.

"Shut up. Shut up," JJ rose to his feet, resting his arms on the wooden plank as John B and Kiara emerged from the water, "It's too early for that right now."

"Hey, once we get the footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a formal complaint," John B explained.

"That's bullshit," Marley shook her head.

"Yeah, why would we have to do that?" JJ asked the boy in the water.

Pope shrugged, "Well, there is maritime salvage law. You can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up."

"He knows. Lawyers aren't cheap, bro," Marley chimed in, rising from her crouched position and joining them by leaning on the wooden plank.

"Well, as soon as they see the footage, they'll work for a comp," John B shook his head.

"This tether is, like, really long," Pope clarified, causing JJ and Marley to both look into the distance and spot a massive thunderstorm cloud, dark and grey, "In the wrong weather, it could get pushed around."

"Then we'll go at dead calm," John B answered, and just as he did, the thunder began rumbling ominously.

"At slack tide?" Kiara inquired as she ascended the ladder, joining the others on the wooden platform.