6. The Battle Of Hogwarts [Pt.2]

TW: death

The ringing inside my head didn't stop, but my screams had. I was panting on the floor, trying to crawl away from the place where I'd just felt pure agony. I couldn't look back to what had happend, I just needed to get away.

Suddenly, I was picked up by a few people and dragged towards an empty classroom. I looked up and saw three pairs of eyes watching me, analysing me. Harry, Ron & Hermione, they'd saved me.

"Y/n, where's George?"

My head lolled to the side as I tried to force an answer out of my mouth. The ringing hadn't stopped, the memory of pain still clear in my head.

"Y/n, please"

I tried to focus, tried to force myself to speak. I didn't know where George was. The memory of panic flooded over me and I started to breathe faster.

"Don't..know"

"Shit!"

Harry, Hermione and Ron looked at each other in panic. Clearly not knowing what to do with me.

"Go!"

I knew they had other things to worry about than me, I understood. I would just hide until this was all over, if it ever was. George would find me eventually.

"We can't leave you here y/n"

"Yes 'mione.. you- can"

My breathing hadn't steadied over time and the ringing was still present, but at least I was able to speak.

"GO!"

I waved my arm towards the door. They shared a hesitant look and Harry and Hermione slowly stood up. Ron stayed on my level and gave me a sad look.

"George told me that when this is all over... he'll ask you to be his wife. He wanted to ask you before everything happend but..."

Tears sprung up in his eyes.

"In case he doesn't survive this... I wanted you to know that, you're the best sister in law I could've asked for."

As he started to stand up I grabbed his hand and pulled him down into a hug.

"Thank you Ron"

I let go and watched him stand up and ground himself. He gave me a sad smile and I returned it.

"Stay here!"

I nodded and watched the trio leave.

-

The fact that I was still unable to do anything, made everything hurt even more. The screams in the halls were still very much present. I felt so so guilty for not protecting the innocent.

This war, this attack, a personal vendetta. Fighting against people that just don't care for anything but power, it's draining. You could feel the tension in the air, it was suffocating.  A school once overflowed with adventure and joy, now replaced with the atmosphere of death and despair.

Everything felt so insanely heavy, it was getting harder and harder to hold. My eyes were starting to give up, my vision sliding in and out of focus. I was in danger of dozing off in the middle of a battlefield. My body was working against me. I desperately tried to stay awake, but it was hard.

-

Smack. He hit the ground, hard.
The last spell hit him square in the chest, dead.
The only one I'd ever loved, dead.
It should've been me, I should've been the one staring up into the sky.
Looking towards the beyond.
He shouldn't have jumped in front of me.
His sacrifice hurting me even more than death ever could.
His once lively body, now limp, grey, dull.
His once lively heart, now without purpose.
The only one I'd ever truly loved, dead.

-

"GEORGE!"

My body shook itself awake. Every muscle, every bone in my body ached. Physical and mental pain tormenting me. I had to look for George, I had to find him.

I grabbed hold of the wall and dragged myself up. I limped towards the door and realised that the halls were eerily quiet. Was it over? Had everything stopped? Was he still alive?

I opened the door and looked around. Besides destruction, there was no one or nothing in the halls. I limped through the halls expecting to find someone along the way.

As I came closer to the great hall, sounds filled my ears. Relief flooded through my veins, I wasn't alone.

I pushed one of the doors open and looked around the hall in horror. Death, the air filled with sadness and anger.

Hermione rushes up to me from somewhere. I looked to the area where she had come from and my breathing stopped.

There, I saw the Weasley family standing around a tall frame. Heads bowed down, sadness bursting towards me. Hermione laid her hands on my shoulders, clearly trying to hold me back from the horror that was displayed a few feet away from me.

"Is that George?"

"Y/n, please calm down. Come with me"

"ANSWER ME! Who's dead? WHO IS THAT?"

Tears started to flood my eyes, Hermione's doing the same. I was struggling against her frame, as she still tried to keep me away. No one of the Weasley family deserved to die, no one.

"HERMIONE LET ME GO!"

"Y/n please!"

"It's George isn't it?"

Hermione looked at me with sad eyes and I knew. The way she looked at me told me everything I needed to know. The only one I'd ever truly loved, dead. Everything inside me crumbled to pieces. Everything that we had, gone.

Hermione slowly let go of me as I stopped struggling against her. My legs were frozen to the ground. I looked at the red haired family, my family. Their cries and sobs echoing through the halls, hitting me in my heart.

Arthur looked over his shoulder and his eyes immediately caught mine. His hand touched Molly's and she turned. She turned back and not even a second later a head popped up, looking out over them straight towards me.

George, his eyes staring right in mine. He was alive, ALIVE. The realisation hit me like a truck, the frame on the ground was Fred's. It felt like all the air was punched out of me.

I ran, ran towards George. He met me in a bone crushing hug, tears spilling on each other's shoulders. He clutched me, needing someone to hold on to. I looked over his shoulder, seeing Fred's lifeless, still body. I grabbed a tighter hold of George, almost wanting to dissapear against him.

This wasn't supposed to happen. No one was supposed to die. George shouldn't have lost his brother, shouldn't have lost his other half. His hands were still holding tightly onto my sweater as he sobbed into my shoulder. I did the same thing, sobbing until there was nothing left.  Cry and cry for the loss, that was so unbelievably unfair.

-

Staring off into space, empty. Fred's body had been taken away and George and I were just staring ahead. Steaming cups of tea in our hands. We hadn't said a word to each other, but it wasn't needed. We both knew what we wanted, we knew each other well enough for that. We wanted some peace and quiet, to remember.

To remember the bad times and forget.
To remember the good times.
To remember Fred.