- broken wall -

~ 12 ~

~ 12 ~

"The comfort of having a friend may be taken away, but not that of having had one"
~ Seneca

.

.

.

.

.

This expedition was a complete failure, and everybody knew it. So many people died, and for what? For nothing.

Charlie was sitting inside a cart next to the unconscious Paul and George. Yes, George was also injured but luckily not severely.

Charlie immediately checked both the boys pulses and bandaged up their injuries. They were still out cold by the time they passed through the gates of Shiganshina again.

Molly was mostly well, she got a few scratches here and there but was still in shock.

Charlie couldn't blame her. She grew up inside wall Sina, with a happy family and no worries for money. She's never seen anything remotely close to this hell.

Charlie has seen hell before, and still she couldn't just shake this event off like that. Her dull eyes lingered on the orange haired boy's face.

This stupid bet they had wasn't meant to be serious. She didn't want either of them to die. Her blue and brown eyes focused on the freckles on his face, trying to count them, but without success.

The citizens stood all around them as the survey corps walked inside the city. It was shameful, and Charlie tried her hardest to stay unemotional at their cruel comments.

They had no right to talk like that, they didn't see what they saw. They couldn't feel what they felt.

One woman began to scream and cry for her son—Moses.

Charlie's eyes widened, but she didn't look up at the scene. This guy was on her squad, he was one of the first to die.

While the woman was crying on her knees, Charlie finally found the courage to look up at the people standing around them.

To her surprise, she could make out the two children that were walking out of the doctors house earlier.

The boy must be his son, he and his mother look so much alike. Him and Charlie don't even have that much of an age difference, maybe three years, yet it felt like they can't be on eyesight one bit.

And then, Keith Shadis finally had his breakdown. Charlie listened as he screamed about his failure. She had warned him that the formation was shit, but he wouldn't listen.

Hmm what a weak man.

Charlie jumped off of the cart, walking over to Erwin. "Hey...uh...I know this is probably not the time—"