- love -

~ 4 ~

~ 4 ~

"What is a neglected child? He is a child not planned for, not wanted. Neglect begins, therefore, before he is born."
~Pearl S. Buck

.

.

.

Only a few hours after Levi carried Charlotte to their home, the girl was already awake again.

She was staring at the ceiling, her face expressionless.

"How did this happen? She can fight off grown ass men from the Underground, but gets beaten half to death by some coward policemen?" She heard the hushed voice of Furlan. He was only one door away, talking to someone in the other room.

"They had firearms. They took her by surprise. She's a kid. What do want to hear?" Another voice, Levi, answered calmly, keeping his voice monotone.

Charlotte could hear a sigh, and someone seeming to sit down on the sofa. She closed her eyes, moving her hands in front of her face.

Her mussels ached, and her shoulder burned like hell, but she somehow managed to move her limbs.

There was no one in the room, still she didn't want anyone or anything to see her tears.

With one hand over her mouth to muffle the sounds, and with the other over her eyes to wipe the tears away, she didn't have any other option than to listen more.

"I often forget that she's so young. It doesn't seem like she is. She's not normal...she's... deranged or something." Furlan said.

Charlotte felt her heart clench at his words.

Am I...deranged?

She had killed people.

She had sliced peoples eyes to blind them a lot of times.

She had stoled from people a thousand times.

She had beaten up people millions of times.

She was a bad person, and that she could say about herself at the young age of nine years old.

But did she have another choice? Probably.
Did she want to take the other choice? No.

"And even if she is. Aren't we all?" Levi encountered, only half asking.

Charlotte wiped her tears away completely, slowly using her not so much injured arm to push herself up from her bed.

While she was sitting there, trying to find the strength to stand up on her feet, the two men kept talking.

"You're right. Anyway, should I go and buy some apples for when she wakes up? She adores those things." Furlan said thoughtfully.

That made Charlotte smile, as she slowly but steadily made her way to the door to open it.