One Of Those Days

Too many small things pile up too quickly. A small annoying noise, a crowded place, too many people talking at once. It didn't really matter what cause it, but something pushed you over the edge and you needed to find somewhere to hide away for a bit.

It was something you were used to, especially when there were lots of people and lots of noise. It quickly became overwhelming and you could feel the need to just cry bubbling up. So you snuck off away from everyone who was celebrating the victory in the main hall of the storm spire. Finding a small secluded area, partially hidden by rocks and vines.

The noise of the party was barely a buzz here, you could barely hold it together as you backed up against the rocky wall, sliding down it until you were sitting on the floor. You curled in on yourself slightly. You felt tears well up in your eyes and slowly drip down your face, your breathing becoming a little shaky.

You heard the footsteps before his voice. “(Y/N)?” Ibis’ voice was soft as he called your name “are you over here? I thought I saw you come this way..” Ever observant as he was, it should have been expected that he would notice his own partner slipping away, even in a crowd.

The tapping of his staff cause you to slightly curl in on yourself, covering your ears. Everything was too much right now, you couldn't stand the smallest of things, you just wanted to shove cotton in your ears so you couldn't hear anything.

Eventually you couldn't take it and snapped with a small whimper “please- just stop tapping your staff” to your relief the tapping did stop, and Ibis brushed aside the vines that hid your small hiding spot. He frowned when he spotted you before a concerned look took over his features.

“Is everything ok? Did someone hurt you?” he asked, you just shook your head as a small sob escaped your mouth. Ibis stood there a moment before he asked; “may I sit with you?” you nodded slightly, scooting over to make room for the sky mage.

As he sat down beside you, he gently laid his staff down, careful not to make too much noise with it as he did so.

He sat silently for a moment before asking quietly “would you like to talk? Or perhaps just sit in silence for a while?” when you didn't respond he gently pulled you into his lap, wrapping his arms around you and resting his chin on your shoulder.

You did little to resist as he did so, closing your eyes and slightly leaning back against him. It felt nice to just be held, to have someone understand what you needed even without you being able to tell them.

The two of you sat in silence for a while, just enjoying each other's company. Ibis was humming softly as he slightly rocked you right and left. Eventually you even felt yourself relaxing a small bit, your breath still a little shaky, but you were managing.

Everything was fine until the crowd grew very loud, all cheering together, in unison. Just like that you were back to the brink of tears, once again curling in on yourself and covering your ears. Ibis’ grip loosened on you slightly and he sat up slightly.

“Is all the noise bothering you?” he asked, when you nodded letting out a soft weep he picked up his staff, sticking it into the ground before tracing a mist rune in the air and speaking softly, “Ventum Circulo” as he finished saying the words wind began spiraling around the two, causing the voices outside to be muffled.

Ibis pulled you close once again, he said something you couldn't hear before his arms transformed into wings. He wrapped them around you complealty, causing almost all the noise to be deafened.

After a few deep breaths to calm yourself down slightly you turned, wrapping your arms around him and burying your face in his chest. You couldn't make yourself say anything, despite wanting to say thank you, or that you loved him, or something..  But you just couldn't.

As you sat hugging him the sky mage folded his wings a little tighter around you. “Are you feeling better?” he asked. You only nodded, squeezing him a bit more. “You’re not cold are you?” you shook your head.

You reluctantly let go of him, sitting back slightly so you could see his face before holding up your hands in the shape of a heart, a small smile adorning your tear stained face.

The skywing elf laughed softly, pressing his forehead to your own “I love you as well, my dear,” he said, pressing a soft kiss to your cheek, “I love you as well.”