Chapter Eleven

Yu Jiayang closed the door behind them carefully, taking the extra moment to send away the few disciples that stood guard. She watched her do so warily, backing into what could roughly be considered the center of the room. For a moment, she chanced a glance around the spacious room, eyeing what appeared to be a bed shoved up against the far wall. At the slightest hint of movement, her eyes shot back to the other woman, following her as she walked over to a short table laden with boxes and tools. Yu Jiayang acted as if she were entirely unbothered by her presence, as if this whole circumstance they had found themselves in was an average day for her. She barely even paid attention to her presence in the room, milling about as if she couldn't attack her, kill her, or otherwise lash out. Yu Zi wasn't sure if it were boldness, bravery, or hubris.

"Where am I?" She asked harshly, tilting her chin up as she spoke. Yu Jiayang turned to her; an unimpressed expression plastered over her face.

"My room, if you want the specific," Yu Jiayang said, tilting her head as if to follow her words, a single brow lifting. "The broader; my Sect. Meishan, if you care about regional."

"Why am I here? I don't even know you," She shot back, pointing in the other woman's direction to emphasize her point.

"Well, I would say you need a bath. There's mud in your hair. There's also mud on your clothes. I would say, generally, that you are covered in mud. And that's no way to be," Yu Jiayang said simply. "Not only that, but you have successfully gained the ire of Jiang Nan, and a certain amount of 'debts of any form must be paid' runs in his blood, from my experience. He'll want to kill you. I can't say whether or not he'll ever stop trying to."

"Then why didn't you let him. Why didn't you kill me? You had the chance to," She pointed out, though this time less forcibly. "Instead, you lied. You told him I was one of your disciples. You covered for me."

"Well I couldn't have done much killing, given that you had my sword at Jiang Nan's throat. So, I suppose I have a question of my own— you could have killed him. Why didn't you?" Yu Jiayang said, tilting her head. The other woman stared at her with a cool curiosity, regarding her with an analytical distance. She was waiting for a response like it was a test, a determining factor in how things would proceed from then onward. She couldn't help but shift awkwardly under the scrutiny, silently searching for an adequate answer. She hadn't thought of much at all when she had held the blade to Sect Leader Jiang's neck, hadn't had a thought in her head when she stopped. What had stopped her?

"I... couldn't," She said, words equal parts forceful as they were ashamed. Yu Jiayang let out a small hum in response, nodding to herself.

"Even though he likely wouldn't have hesitated, if the roles were reversed?" Yu Jiayang asked. She nodded, and Yu Jiayang echoed the noise from just seconds before. "Very well. And the name I called you earlier, Yu Zi, are you okay with using it, or do you have one you prefer from before?"

"From before?" She echoed, expression narrowing in confusion.

"From when you were a snake. I'm afraid I don't know what customs snakes have, names and whatnot. I've been human my whole life," Yu Jiayang explained.

"You know?" She asked sharply, taking a step back in alarm. Yu Jiayang nodded once more, clasping her hands together.

"Of course I do. I'm afraid you weren't exactly subtle about it."

"If you knew, then why—"

"You hesitated," Yu Jiayang cut in before she could finish her thought. "You could have killed Jiang Nan, but you didn't. You could also have killed me. You chose not to. Your reflexes are sharp; you're a smart woman. And, from what I could tell, today was your first day as a human. Why waste a life that has only just begun."