Chapter Thirteen

"You must be on your best behavior, A—Zi," Jiayang reminded the woman, only to receive a smile and half rolled eyes in response.

"Jie-Jie, you've trained me well, I won't make a fuss," Yu Zi replied, linking her arm with the other woman's and glancing between her and the open gate of the newest sect they had been strolling into before Jiayang had stopped them with her reminder. The other woman sighed, giving Yu Zi an imploring look, to which she replied with raised brows and joking comprehension. "Ah, Jie, I know that Sect Leader Jiang will be at this conference, but as long as he doesn't cause trouble, neither will I! Cross my heart, he'd have to deal the first blow."

"That's what I'm worried about, A—Zi. Whatever he starts, I finish, not you. Everyone already knows our relationship is contentious," Jiayang said, patting Yu Zi on the arm and giving her a look that dared her to object. "We're here to make alliances with other sects, nothing more. Remember, you're representing MeishanYu the same as I, behave like it."

"Fine," Yu Zi said, beginning to lead them up through the gate, into the large courtyard draped in grey flags. "But only because you insist. I'll be a model citizen, a perfect little human cultivator. No one will know the difference between us."

Jiayang rolled her eyes in exasperation. "I'd start by cutting out the use of 'human ' as an adjective. That alone will be a dead giveaway."

"So you say. Including yourself, how many Sect Leaders are even fully human, fully mortal? Judging me would be hypocritical of them," She shot back, only to receive a chastising glare in return.

"Yu Zi. Don't push our luck," Jiayang said, tone growing more serious. "Just play the game."

Frowning, Yu Zi took a step back, straightening her teal robes, then her sisters, before gesturing ahead to the large hall. "Sect Leader Yu."

Jiayang gave her another exasperated look, walking ahead briskly. "Come on, Second Lady Yu, before we're late."

The hall was of a decent size, but filled with people all focused on making connections under the guise of polite conversation, thus crowded in the center but near vacant at the edges. Jiayang weaved through the small crowds of people, Yu Zi at her heels, searching for the tables that had been reserved for them and quickly flagging down one of the servants that lingered towards the edge of the room, asking her to show them the way. They took their seats quietly, scanning the room with analytical eyes, taking careful note of who all was there and who was speaking with whom. Jiayang also kept an eye out for Jiang Nan, who was undoubtedly searching for a chance to prove himself, though not necessarily in an effort to make allies. After a moment of searching, she came to the conclusion that the man either hadn't arrived yet or had hidden himself out of sight of her deliberately.

"Sect Leader Yu," A measured voice said suddenly from her right, and she stood, turning to face the broad, grey clad man with a polite smile.

"Sect Leader Nie, it's good to finally make your acquaintance," She said with a bow, the man returning the favor. "You've done well to establish yourself so fast."

He nodded appreciatively, before looking over her shoulder at Yu Zi with a puzzled expression. "I wasn't aware your house had a second mistress, Sect Leader Yu."

"Yes, my sister doesn't often go out. I thought it best to give her a chance to make a name of herself," Jiayang said, turning to look at Yu Zi, brow raising. Rather than the enthused look she had been expecting, Yu Zi gave her a look that seemed significantly closer to panic. "Mei-Mei, why don't you introduce yourself?"