02 !

'the outer banks, paradise on earth.

its the sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses.

two tribes, one island.

all right so this is figure eight, the rich side of the island. home of the kooks.

so, guess where we dont live.

and then, this is the south side or the cut.

home of the working class who make a living busing tables, washing yachts, running charters.

natural habitat of...

drumroll please..

the pogues!

thats us. pogues, pogies, the throwaway fish, lowest member of the food chain.

okay so the downside of pogue life is were ignored and neglected, but the upside of pogue life? were ignored and neglected. which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want!

thats jj! my bestfriend since the third grade. hes about as local as they come. latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, and vendetta-holding salt lifers who made their living off the water. best surfer i know just dont tell him i said that. mild kleptomaniac and a future tax cheat. im also pretty sure he has a major thing for my sister but he wont admit it. its obvious to the whole of the island, hes just to blind to admit it yet.

and thats kiara, or kie as we call her. my sisters determined on calling her kara though, not sure why. and when shes not saving turtles, listening to marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs out with us. not exactly sure why though. so shes a rich kid actually, foot in both worlds. her family owns 'the wreck', this outerbanks institution. total cash cow with the tourists. you know im not really sure how her parents feel about us. but we all know they love my sister. i guess all the boys kinda have a thing for her.

and thats pope, the brains of the operation. finalist for the lucas t. vanderhorst merit scholarship. and the smartest person i know, beside my sister and her random facts. little bit of a weirdo. alright so his fathers this legendary character, heyward. anything you wanted on the island, heyward could get for you. now, im not sure heyward knew what to make of his oddball son, but it didnt matter, he was a pogue, just like the rest of us.

and thats august b, or augs as we call her. my twin sister, younger by two minutes. she always has some sort of sarcastic comment and we are all sure shes got a thing for jj. august is known for flipping people off at every given opportunity. but we didnt care, her and her weird random facts and her dream to surf the world just made us love her more. i would do anything for her. but its kinda weird that my best friend is always hitting on her. see we have this rule, no pogue on pogue macking, but i think we've all agreed it doesnt really count for those two. theyre made for eachother, even if its weird.

so, thats my crew.

and thats me, john booker routledge, and this is where me and augs live. an old fish shack on the marsh, the chateau as our dad used to call it. he dissapeared at sea nine months ago, looking for a shipwreck. who dissapears at sea these days? and then theres mom, she split when we were three. last i heard she was in Colorado, i think it was Colorado. then theres uncle t, since dads been gone, hes supposedly our legal guardian. at the moment, hes in mississippi, building houses. which means, its just me and my sister right now, on our own, hanging out with our friends.

three months after our dad went missing, he was officially presumed dead. we refused to sign the papers, until we see a body, were not giving up.

so thats where our story begins.'

a/n- woah okay, 636 words. i wanted to make the introduction part its own chapter so it didnt get confusing. next chapter will start will the twins at the dcs meeting:) ps. this isnt proof read yet so just lmk if theyres any errors

love always

viv